PDA

View Full Version : looking at pumps for sap transfer

seandicare
07-31-2016, 06:55 PM
i am looking at getting 2 pumps to handle my sap.

first would need to be a battery powered and able to draw suction from 15gal drum into a 55gal drum in the back of the car.

#2 i think i found a decent one at tractor supply and Amazon(same price) and electric 110V to pump from a 55gal drum in the car almost flat 130ft to my holding tank, then from the holding tank up 8ft or so to head tank.

my big problem is the battery one. there is no electricity at my bush so gas and battery are only options. and not enough sap at once to justify gas i don't think. maybe 50 taps the next couple years. 300 max.

i did find a couple submersible pumps (if i cut a hole in top of the 15gal drum), or Amazon had some 12v pumps, but none seemed to go much over 3gal/min...that's a long draw for even 15gals 3-4 times.

any recommendations for a tight budget for a battery pump?

mudr
07-31-2016, 07:02 PM
I'd opt for a small 1 inch gas powered one for the first need. Heck, it could probably serve dual purpose. Toss in some camlock/quick connect fittings, it's light and portable, buy one and done. There are some light weight 2-stroke units out there that can be gotten cheaply, like $150 I think. I have a Honda wx-10. A bit pricier, but 4-stroke, quieter, no mixing gas, and should last a long time (except I currently have a leaky gasket).

MISugarDaddy
08-01-2016, 05:21 AM
I agree with mudr about the Honda WX-10 being a good option. They are pricier, but they are very light and easy to move around. We also have a 1" Harbor Freight pump which works fine, but is definitely not as easy starting and about twice as heavy as the Honda. We only use it for pumping concentrate into our feed tank if the Honda is being used for collecting sap.
Gary

WESTMAPLES
08-01-2016, 06:57 AM
i have a honda wx-15 its a great pump all around, if your considering a wx-10 and your maybe thinking of expanding in near future.... spend alittle more and get a wx-15 you get about twice the GPH over the wx-10 for only alittle more cash... you won`t be sorry

maple flats
08-01-2016, 08:24 AM
I second or is that 3rd. the Hondas, but to address an electric battery powered, a bilge pump can't be beat. You can find them in sizes from maybe 120 GPH up to and over than 1500 GPH, all at low prices, all to run off 12V.
I'd opt for the Honda to do both. I use a Honda 15, (1.5" 4 cycle pump, light wt.) to move 1000 gal of sap from my larger sap tank. It pumps about 65 gpm lifting sap 8' on suction end and pushing up about 5'. Even a WX10 Honda will move over20 gpm at 60' of head. Hondas start 1-2 pulls every time. Use non ethanol gas. Much faster and more dependable that a bilge pump, but if the WX10 or WX15 don't fit the budget, go for a bilge pump.