PDA

View Full Version : What size evaporator?

3SappySirs
07-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Hi
First time posting and new to the whole maple syrup making. We are going to start tapping this upcoming season. We need some guidance on evaporator size. For the first year we will be right around 300 taps on bags. We want an evaporator that will keep our time down in the sugar shack, but also allow for future grow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

RileySugarbush
07-22-2016, 10:35 AM
2x6 minimum and a 2x8 would be better match. Definitely want some source of forced air. we run 200 bags on a 2x6 with auk/aof easily, but hope to stretch to 2x8 mostly because it will be more fuel efficient and will be adding 30-40 taps on 3/16 tubing You will get lots of suggestions to add an RO.....and they are good suggestions, particularly as you expand the operation. maybe get a season or two behind you first.

where in midwest?

3SappySirs
07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
2x6 minimum and a 2x8 would be better match. Definitely want some source of forced air. we run 200 bags on a 2x6 with auk/aof easily, but hope to stretch to 2x8 mostly because it will be more fuel efficient and will be adding 30-40 taps on 3/16 tubing You will get lots of suggestions to add an RO.....and they are good suggestions, particularly as you expand the operation. maybe get a season or two behind you first.

where in midwest?
Thanks for the info. We are in Indiana. RO seems like a good plan in the future with hopefully more taps. Any other certain features you would want on an evaporator?

We are looking to buy new and don't want to be upgrading in just a few years. Don't want to regret not adding certain options either.

Thanks

mudr
07-22-2016, 12:25 PM
I'd think 3x8 is where you would want to start. If you get 65 gph of boil off, you are looking at 4.5 hours right now if you got a solid run of 300 gallons. That should be an easy boil, but if you want to expand in the future I think you'd want to stay on the shorter side of boiling time *now*. Lets say you get up to 500 taps, you are now looking at just shy of 8 hours of boiling. And just boiling, not filtering or bottling. A 2x6 would not do well at that level unless you get an RO. I've thought about my future expansions and I keep going back and forth about ROs. No doubt, they are a wonderful way to process sap. But they get pricey, plus the added tanks and plumbing. I'd look to oversize an evaporator now.

3SappySirs
07-22-2016, 12:50 PM
I'd think 3x8 is where you would want to start. If you get 65 gph of boil off, you are looking at 4.5 hours right now if you got a solid run of 300 gallons. That should be an easy boil, but if you want to expand in the future I think you'd want to stay on the shorter side of boiling time *now*. Lets say you get up to 500 taps, you are now looking at just shy of 8 hours of boiling. And just boiling, not filtering or bottling. A 2x6 would not do well at that level unless you get an RO. I've thought about my future expansions and I keep going back and forth about ROs. No doubt, they are a wonderful way to process sap. But they get pricey, plus the added tanks and plumbing. I'd look to oversize an evaporator now.
Thanks mudr. We have been going back and forth between 2.5x8 and a 3x10. Can't decide.

motowbrowne
07-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks mudr. We have been going back and forth between 2.5x8 and a 3x10. Can't decide.

I think a lot depends on how many taps you'd like to top out at. A 2.5x8 with no RO, you're looking at about 400-450 with some long days boiling. With an RO, maybe 1200 taps. A 3x10 is 50% larger, so you're talking 6-700 without an RO, and triple that with one. Again, those are gonna be some long boiling days.

Personally, I'd be shooting for the 3x10, or even a 3x12, which won't burn any more wood, but will cook a little faster. My opinion might be skewed, though; I've been cooking sap from 450 without vacuum, and now I'll be around 350 on vacuum and 100 buckets, and I'll be cooking on a 4x14. My situation might be different, though. I've got a young child and usually don't have any help cooking. I got tired of cooking for 10-12 hours/day, so I decided to go big.

I almost forgot: check out Thor evaporators out of Canada. They're running discount pricing on orders placed before the end of August. The guy I just bought my 4x14 from just ordered a 3x12 for under $9000!

wiam
07-23-2016, 05:28 PM
I would start with a smaller rig and plan to add RO when taps require. How many taps in the future? I started with a 2x6 that would evaporate close to 60 gph when pushed hard with preheater. That with a 370 gph ro did fine with 900 taps. Most days I did not boil more than 3.5 hrs. Then I went to a 900 gph ro and made about 500 gallons last year on 1600. Upgraded to a 3x12 this year and made 835 from 1800 taps. No boil longer Han 3 hrs. My day job won't let me boil very long.

3SappySirs
07-23-2016, 08:52 PM
I would start with a smaller rig and plan to add RO when taps require. How many taps in the future? I started with a 2x6 that would evaporate close to 60 gph when pushed hard with preheater. That with a 370 gph ro did fine with 900 taps. Most days I did not boil more than 3.5 hrs. Then I went to a 900 gph ro and made about 500 gallons last year on 1600. Upgraded to a 3x12 this year and made 835 from 1800 taps. No boil longer Han 3 hrs. My day job won't let me boil very long.

Not sure about future. Our own woods is full of small maples, but won't be tapping them for quite a few years. The rest is finding the right sugar bushes to lease which we are in the process of now. It is going to be a family venture, but we all have full time jobs as well. Don't want to be evaporating more than 3-4 hours on average.

VT_K9
07-24-2016, 07:55 AM
We are at about 330 taps all on vacuum. We have used a 2X6 since the late 70's when we had about 200 taps with buckets. Our first expansion was from 200 to about 250 taps. Then we went to about 275-300 with a sap puller. Then a CDL 250 R/O. Then full vacuum with about 330 taps. Next year we are looking at about 400 taps. We will still use our 2x6 which is a Leader WSE. We are looking to expand our evaporator, but it may also require a change in the sugar house size as our space is limited to a 2x6 (sugar house built in the 70's by my Grandfather).

In looking here for ideas and talking to different representatives we are looking at a 3' wide unit and likely 8' long, but may consider 10'. I believe I heard a wider unit (3' vs 2.5) may be more efficient than a unit a little longer. Maybe I am only half right because I think it depends on the acutal size of your front pan. Either way I think a 3' would be better. Build the shack to handle a 4' X 12' and you will likely never have to change until you get real big. I think I would build a sugar shack to handle the 4x12 as that will be a cheap option over an expansion later (even 20 years).

The one thing to remember is a slow year....what do you do when you don't have quite enough sap to fill a 3X10? Wait a few more days? Those are the concerns we would have had if we stepped up a couple years ago. Even with our current quantity of taps a 3X10 and using an R/O may be close. I agree upgrading cuts into the pocket book from the loss on the old machine (depending how you bought it) to the price increase of waiting 2-3 years before you upgrade. I would like to say a 2.5'X8-3x8 would be best. Then add an RO when you start creeping past the timeframe you want to spend boiling.

Good luck,

Mike

wiam
07-24-2016, 08:04 AM
I think if expansion is a sure thing unless you plan on adding an ro you can't use the same rig for 300 as for 600. The value of a used 2x6 would not drop much over a few years.

mellondome
07-25-2016, 01:58 AM
Any other certain features you would want on an evaporator?

Thanks

Hoods and preheater.
If this is the first time making syrup, I would suggest buying a used 2x6 for your first year with that tap count. This will allow you to get the first season of mistakes out of the way before you sink money into new equipment. It will also give you a feel for your time commitment and that commitment from the rest of the family.
A well managed 2x6 with hoods and preheater will get you in the 45 - 50gph arena.

MapleMark753
07-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Also, a consideration may be what kind of maples you have. For instance, on average, Silver Maples have an overall rep for being stingy sap givers and early quitters (sap keeps coming, but turns buddy). And, reds can be stingy or good, and can be also early quitters. (they begin to bud a couple weeks before sugars and blacks). Both Silvers and Reds CAN be great producers. And are for some people.
Do you have an idea of the volume of sap your trees will produce?

You might want to give Chris a call too. I bought my evaporator from him. And they sponsor this forum. Sure you gotta plan and size for the future, but you gotta be able to operate right now for your current tap count too.
good luck!
Mark

Andrew Franklin
08-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Where are you in Indiana? I am in northern Monroe County and put in about 90 taps last winter but probably have another 500 available on my property and my neighbors'. Best part is the trees are all on a 300' hill that slopes down to Lake Lemon so grouping 30 taps on 3/16 tubing gives great natural vacuum. Let's talk if you are close...it's always nice to meet people in Indiana that enjoy this!

SpringersLoveSapin
08-17-2016, 11:52 PM
In my opinion 2.5' i.e. 30" is the right width for an evaporator though i am sure the 3' folks will disagree. on a 30" the fire box is large enough to hold the heat when you fire it but not so big that you have clear cut the back 40 to have enough wood also on a 3' flue pan depending on the maker you may only gain 1 or 2 flues. Pretty sure that long and skinny is more efficient than short and fat when it comes to pans. If an RO may be in your future make sure you have enough syrup pan. A 30" x 8' with 3' syrup pan and AUF will boil a lot of sap and can be stepped up with a pre-heater, AOF, steamaway and RO to handle way more taps but its not so big you cant boil on light flow days. Or if the right 30"x10' with a 4' Syrup pan ended up in your sugar house you probably would not regret it. I think every sugar house should be built to handle a 12' evaporator which is closer to 14' long. No one ever had to much room in the sugar house!