PDA

View Full Version : General questions.

MaplePancakeMan
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Where does everyone get bottles and for how much. i currently pay .86 for 12.8 oz glass and .77 for 8oz i'd like cheaper if there is but not mason jars as most people hate them because you can't pour from them.

Also i bought a hydrometer, i know how to use it but how to i figure out how to convert the Brix to hot syrup?

maplehound
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
There should be a hot and cold test ( red lines) on your hydrometer for the most part the hot test is accurate enough for right off the evaporator.
As for bottles I buy off of Maple equipment dealers in this area. I am sure there are several in your area as well just ask those close to you who make syrup.

325abn
03-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I have found that folk love the .5 pt and the 1 pt mason jars we pack our syrup in.

MaplePancakeMan
03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Really... they love mason jars? i guess its because i sell it in a healthfood store... people are more stuck up there. It really bothers me they want natural product but complain if theres the slightest bit of sugar sand at the bottom. However the lady who owns it loves me and doesn't charge me anything to sell it and set the price at 10 for 12 oz and 7 for 8 oz. They gobble it up everytime i stock it one lady buys like a case at a time and gives them away at work.

325abn
03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
They do! My wife dresses up the jar with a piece of maple theamed cloth tied around the top with a piece of jute. It works very well at my Farmers market stand.

royalmaple
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
If you don't have a press and are worried about sand, could you just sell to them in tin or plastic. Voila, no more sugar sand to be seen.

danno
03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
MPM - I should be asking you where you buy your glass.

I'm paying a buck for 12 0z w/cap and 85 cents for 8 oz. glass. Where can I do better? I'm buying from a local dealer who carries Leader products. I don't pay shipping as they have stock and it's about a half hour from where I work. I'm in Central NY near Syracuse.

MaplePancakeMan
03-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Danno,

http://www.abcontainer.com/itemdetail.asp?cat1=Glass&cat2=Bottles&cat3=Syrup

thats the place i get them from, shipping is pretty reasonable i can't remember what it was but it was less than 20 bucks and i ordered 10 cases at the very most its the same price as where you go to get your bottles and its dilievered to your door. i live a little closer than you do but i can't see it being too much different

MaplePancakeMan
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, its a good thing that i ordered a bunch last year because shipping went up i just called to quote it they say its about 6 bucks a case to ship. Now i def need to find another place, or bite the bullet and drive the 3hrs to pick them up. Where does everyone get their plastic? I really like glass but plastic would probably be best.

I gotta check another place danno that sells the glass cheap, i will get back to you

nymapleman
03-31-2007, 07:22 AM
I noticed that you have a 2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator w/ 6" drop flues.
I'm currently investigating his equipment. Please give me your honest opinion of Patrick Phaneuf and equipment. Thanks

MaplePancakeMan
03-31-2007, 08:20 AM
I changed from glass to sugar hill bottles. i was able to get 16 oz for 85 cents a piece 8oz were 80 or 81 cents apiece plus no shipping so thats the best part. THe guy who fixed my RO is now a dealer so thats awesome and hes only 10 min away.