PDA

View Full Version : Steam hood

Greenthumb
07-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Will a steam hood increase the boil rate of a small evaporator. I have a smoky lake full pint.

maplemas
07-19-2016, 03:49 AM
From what I've been told not really. Where you gain with a hood is if you have a preheater along with it .. Leader says you should gain 15-20% boiling rate... I just picked mine up last month so I have no experience yet!

maple flats
07-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Yes it does increase the boil a little because it helps keep the temperature up, similar to the difference of boiling water in an open pot compared to a covered pot. However, an even better reason aside from being able to make a pre-heater is that it helps keep things from getting into the syrup (dust, dirt, bugs etc.). Once you make a hood, make a pre-heater to fit in it, that will increase your boil 10-15% while using no additional fuel.

Brian
07-19-2016, 08:24 AM
A hood will increase your boil, but it will drop your evaporation rate because the steam can't leave as fast. The only way you gain with a hood is with a preheater, and you gain by keeping dirt and debri out of your pans like Maple Flats said.