PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning furnace into an evaporator

Bfouts
07-18-2016, 07:46 AM
Has any taken an indoor woodburning furnace and converted it in to an evaporator? I have a decent sized furnace and was wonder if anyone has tried this. Why would I want to do this? Basically my daughter has some breathing issues and it has been heavily suggested that I no longer use this in the house for heat. Im just looking to see if this has been done and if someone could post pictures of so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple flats
07-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but several have made evaporators out of wood stoves. Go for it!

Bricklayer
07-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I used the door off an old wood furnace. Worked awesome. Air tight and it had bolt holes already in it. Most of them have a blower also. You can salvage that. The door assembley, and maybe the chimney pipe adaptor. most wood furnaces have a big heat exchanger in them that kinda looks like drop flues. You would have to cut all that out to get the flame on the pans. Best to build an arch frame. Lots of plans with pictures on this site. Then see what parts off the furnace you can re use.

lpakiz
07-18-2016, 05:18 PM
If your furnace is in good usable shape, it might be more beneficial to sell it outright and use the money for materials to build one from scratch, or possibly find a used one.

wiam
07-18-2016, 05:28 PM
How are your welding skills?

Sunny Knoll Farm
07-20-2016, 12:00 AM
I converted an add-on wood furnace/boiler to an evaporator. It ended being a 28" x 72" unit with AOF and AUF. I used the existing shell to preheat the AOF and AUF air. I had a friend build a custom drop flue pan for it. I'll post a picture of the finished unit in a couple days.

Bfouts
07-21-2016, 02:10 PM
How are your welding skills?

I have never welded before. I wish I knew how. Because I have 300 gallon fuel tank that would be my other option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley Wood Maple
07-27-2016, 01:20 AM
in process of converting a Taylor outdoor boiler into a 3x12 raised flu evaporator. Quite more of project than thought would be.
In retrospect starting from scratch would have been easier/smarter option.