PDA

View Full Version : valves for barrels?

seandicare
07-11-2016, 02:21 PM
i have some 55gal sealed top "plastic" barrels and i want to use one as a head tank. i am not wanting to cut the top off, so only have the 2" bung hole to work through. does anyone have any idea where to get the potable water suitable spigot for these.... i found some Brass fittings where you drop the bushing into the barrel then fish it into the hole you drill on the side and tighten the nut from the outside. but after some other research i found that brass holds lead and i'm thinking that is not so good for syrup use.

maple flats
07-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Can you identify the thread the bung plug has? If it is super coarse it is likely a buttress thread. Look up Bascousa, they offer fittings and to fit. They can help you ID which buttress thread it is. You will also want a vent, so you need to open the 3/4" plug too and run a vent off it. They have food grade fittings.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Most barrels you can buy the plastic bungs for a couple bucks and the center of the bung is threaded for 3/4 and can be drilled out and just thread in a 3/4 nipple and valve on the nipple.

seandicare
07-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. What I meant though was I was looking for a fitting that would go on the side wall of the barrel

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wiam
07-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Uniseal. They are cool.

seandicare
07-12-2016, 05:07 AM
Wiam. Thanks for that tip. Looks like they would do the trick perfectly. Plus a couple other uses.

acafro
07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Uniseal. They are cool.

Wish I had heard of those last season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeanD
07-15-2016, 09:16 AM
So if the Uniseal is on the bottom of a full-ish 55 gal drum laid in its side, can it stay leak free or does it need a sealant?

Do you just slide your pipe through? If so, could you drill holes in the pipe just above the point where it passes the Uniseal to get the barrel to drain completely?

Sean

seandicare
07-15-2016, 10:55 PM
From what I've seen of them, it looks like it should hold good. It looks like the end of the pipe can stop just on inside of the seal, so should empty pretty well

wiam
07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
So if the Uniseal is on the bottom of a full-ish 55 gal drum laid in its side, can it stay leak free or does it need a sealant?

Do you just slide your pipe through? If so, could you drill holes in the pipe just above the point where it passes the Uniseal to get the barrel to drain completely?

Sean

No sealant. Each size uniseal needs a specific size hole saw. (Standard sizes). I have used several and had no leakage. Use some lube. Dawn dish soap works. And slide right in. Also helps to heat the uniseal with hot water.

SeanD
07-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Good to know. Thanks for sharing that.