PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Flue Pan

Bruce L
07-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Bought a couple of boat winches to set up to lift steam away once it arrives,just curious as to how to lift flue pan before it arrives to replace ceramic gasket under the pans.Thinking of maybe 4 eye bolts on the corners,but would rather not drill into the top of the pan if I don't have to

ennismaple
07-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Bruce - I'm in the same boat as you in that I need to replace the pan gasket. I assume your flue pan not already have lift holes in the corners? Ours does but we generally arrange to have 6 guys lift it off whenever needed.

lpakiz
07-11-2016, 05:50 PM
I use a series of 1X1 by 6 inch long little wood blocks. I blocked the pan up an inch all around, but kept the blocks a couple feet from the stack end. Removed the old gasket and replaced with new in this first foot or so. Then leapfrogged the blocks down the arch, removing a short stretch and replacing as I went. Worked good.
If you have a drop flue with drain, you need to hook the flue drain before lifting.

maple flats
07-11-2016, 06:17 PM
The last time I replaced my gasket, I made a wooden frame that fit under the upper lip and it extended a few inches beyond the length of the pan. I just used 2x4's and tilted them in under the top lip, then across the ends I laid flat 2x2's on top and under attached with screws to the 2x4's. Then I winched the pan up a foot or so and replaced the gasket, lifting only on the 2x4's..

Bruce L
07-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info Dave,I'll give it a try. Did I see once that you made your own pan washer?

maple flats
07-14-2016, 07:38 AM
I made my own syrup pan washer, but I bought Lapierre's flue pan washer. The syrup pan (3'x3') washer is made in a 3x3x1/4" acrylic. I plumbed it so I pump in thru a 1.25" on top of the acrylic, then the 1.25" goes down thru that and just under it enters a 1.25 T with 2 outlets of 1". Then I have 2 lines, in 1" PVC down the center of each compartment in the syrup pan on each half of the pan (4 channels total). In the final spray tube I have 1/8" holes drilled every 3" alone the length in 3 rows. One row straight down and one each to the side but very slightly downward. Since my pan has 4 channels, I need to wash it flat and it drains out the draw off valves, back into a tank, where it is then pumped back thru the system. I generally only use this if I get a problem pan to clean, because I boil alone and swapping 3x3 pans alone is not fun.
If I don't have a problem pan, I just clean it in place using white vinegar, then I spray in with permeate to fully rinse.
For the flue pan washer, I drain the flue pan into a barrel, then I hook the pump up to my permeate tank. The permeate flows thru the pan and then goes to drain.

bairdswift
07-17-2016, 07:17 AM
At the end of the season we like to pressure wash both the pan. Our arch is 4x12. It takes 3-4 people to carry the 4x8 flue pan out of the sugar house. How do I get around carting it out the door. I like the pan clean but getting it out the door is PITA.

PerryFamily
07-17-2016, 09:33 AM
I'm hoping to build a pan washer similar to what flats did. I ordered my new pans from Thor with a 1-1/2" drain on the flue pan so it will drain quickly. I'm having 2-50gallon tanks made on wheels with a 110 pump mounted to them. Hoping to use acrylic for the pan cover and sprinkler system heads for the spraying.
My plan is to use it to clean the spare two pans while I'm boiling and every so often (100-150gal??) drop the flue pan and clean it . I think it will work and hopefully save some scrubbing