PDA

View Full Version : Using coal in an evaporator

USMCLtcol
07-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Might be a crazy question... How does coal heat to fire an evaporator? I came across some for free. Small nuggets ranging in size from golf ball to softball.

madmapler
07-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Since I've been on the trader, I've never seen a post on coal. Have you checked the archives?

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-09-2016, 06:17 AM
I can remember using soft coal to supplement wood at the end of a season 50+ years ago. Seems like the complaint was the amount of soot buildup on the flues.

BreezyHill
07-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Well:
Free fuel...cant beat the price
would not want to end the boil due to added residual heat from fuel
a good air under system will be crucial to get a good hot fire
coals btu output can be controlled well for draw off of batches by reducing air flow
dust would be an issue to control but not *** much with modern processed coal

I would give it a try if you have air under fire.

wiam
07-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Many years ago our old farmhouse had a coal furnace. Biggest concern was ash build up preventing draft. That furnace had shaker grates and had to be shook often or the fir would go out.

USMCLtcol
07-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Appreciate the feedback everyone. I will use it and let you know how it works this winter.

wiam
07-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not saying don't try. Just make sure you keep the fire stirred. Let us know.

BreezyHill
07-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Last season I installed a truck exhaust suction fan for a shop under my arch on a rheostat. Turn it up to high right after filling the fire box and I never had to clean ashes out again the rest of the season. Got two at an auction for $50 as I recall.

Wiam is right, the ash will be the issue, and coal likes a draft from below to burn best. Air across does little to get it burning.