PDA

View Full Version : Price per tap, Franklin County VT

Stanbridge
07-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Hello MapleTrader community,

This is my first post, and I'm looking forward to sharing with you fellow sugarers.

I may have found a very nice 30 acre lot in NE Franklin County. It has power available on the roadside, road is town-maintained, slope is good for gravity pipeline down to the road (10% average slope up to the far end of the lot), and the estimated tap count is now at 2000 according to my survey (potential for more with good management and growth). Only drawback is a north-facing slope.

What are people paying per tap in Northern Vermont when buying good sugarbush land? I know good land is at a premium these days.

Thanks,

Denis

spud
07-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Hello MapleTrader community,

This is my first post, and I'm looking forward to sharing with you fellow sugarers.

I may have found a very nice 30 acre lot in NE Franklin County. It has power available on the roadside, road is town-maintained, slope is good for gravity pipeline down to the road (10% average slope up to the far end of the lot), and the estimated tap count is now at 2000 according to my survey (potential for more with good management and growth). Only drawback is a north-facing slope.

What are people paying per tap in Northern Vermont for good sugarbush land? I know good land is at a premium these days.

Thanks,

Denis

I live in NE Franklin County VT. If you are looking to just rent the woods and set it up yourself then you will pay $2.00 + per tap. If you are looking to buy the land then you will be paying $3500-4000 per acre.

Spud

Stanbridge
07-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks Spud.

I am looking at buying some land and building a sugarhouse. This particular lot has never been tapped and would require only minor thinning to set it up.

maple maniac65
07-07-2016, 06:13 AM
I live in NE Franklin County VT. If you are looking to just rent the woods and set it up yourself then you will pay $2.00 + per tap. If you are looking to buy the land then you will be paying $3500-4000 per acre.

Spud

Are you saying in VT the rent is $2.00 per tap.

GeneralStark
07-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Are you saying in VT the rent is $2.00 per tap.

Spud is saying that in his region of Franklin County, VT, leasing taps can cost about $2/tap, sometimes more, sometimes less depending upon access and other factors. In my region of Addison County, VT lease fees can be similar where competition is tight.

rhwells2003
07-08-2016, 06:48 AM
My parents bought 43 acres in northeast franklin county last year that we logged and set-up this last fall/winter. 43 acres with a 7 acre field, all the rest solid maples. Land was around $3500/acre

Stanbridge
07-10-2016, 06:26 PM
My parents bought 43 acres in northeast franklin county last year that we logged and set-up this last fall/winter. 43 acres with a 7 acre field, all the rest solid maples. Land was around $3500/acre

How many taps did you manage to squeeze into your 43 acres?