PDA

View Full Version : Evaporating Outside

Millsy
07-02-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm building a 2'x4' evaporator for the upcoming season and was thinking of setting it up on our carport to run. It only has one side that is attached to the house and the other 3 sides are open. The ceiling is t&g pine, high and vaulted. Do you think that I will have a problem with condensation on the ceiling?
Thanks John

Bricklayer
07-03-2016, 08:34 AM
I have boiled outside for 10 years and tried everything for shelter. You will always get a little bit of condensation on whatever you are boiling under. I ended up just boiling in the open air. Just remember the condensation will find its way back to your pan mixed with whatever it touched on the ceiling, . I would never boil in anything attached to my house or within a 50 feet radius. Once you boil at night with a blower you will know what I mean. Don't burn your house down for a couple gallons of syrup. I've had a couple close calls over the years with embers landing on shed roofs and my house roof and I've run to grab the hose and its frozen solid. For that fact I am building a sugar shack 400' from my house.