PDA

View Full Version : Question on an evaporator

70 Buick
06-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Here is my question
My sugaring is a hobby, made 14 gallons this year
I boil on a barrel evaporator I made 3 years ago
I can only boil on Saturdays as it is at our cottage
This year I found it long to boil for 12-14 hours to get what I got, not to mention how much wood you burn in that time!! LOL
I have 60 taps could get to 80 max

My wife will buy me a new evaporator to cut time
I have 2 options looking at Thor, Cost and close to me

They have a 18x36 With a float box, flue pan etc, 1300.00$
http://shootthebull.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=419&t=1

Or a 2x4 with same setup for 2000.00
http://shootthebull.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=420&t=1

My problem is this, I boil what I can cover up and leave everything in the pan till next weekend, i have no choice we have no water for cleanup etc
Would that gum up the flue's , float box etc

They offered me the same evaporator but with a divided 3 divisions flat pan
18x36 950.00
2x4 1500.00

Would these be better in my situation?

What are your opinions?

I was thinking the 2x4 with flat bottom divided would work better in my situation

My budget is 1500.00so it would be between the 2x4 flat pan with dividers or the 18x36 with flue pans

mudr
06-23-2016, 07:12 AM
The 2x4 flat will get you 8 gph, I've never seen stats on an 18x36 flue setup. I'd guess it would do 10-12 gph? If you hit the 80 trees and boil once per week I think you want at least the 18x36 flue. You may have 150 gallons to boil, that is 19 hrs on the 2x4 flat rig. If you can somehow find the extra $500, you would do well with the 2x4 flue. That should be 20 gph, 150 gallon is now 7.5 hr.

maple flats
06-23-2016, 08:17 AM
none of the options will "gum" the flues, but which ever way you go, I strongly suggest you make a hood. Design the hood with a gutter around the bottom and a drain from that gutter. That will give you some warm clean up water. I made hoods for my 1st 3 rigs, all out of aluminum, my current hoods were by Thor. On my aluminum hood I made the gutters out of 1x1x1 aluminum channel, 1/8" thick gauge. I mitered 3 corners and "welded" them using a torch and aluminum welding rod available at TSC and most other farm type stores, on the 4th corner, I butt welded the corner, with 1 side extending out about 8". Where the 2 joined I cut out a piece from the side of the piece with the extension, but you could also just butt weld that and the condensate would all flow in one direction and out to drain to a bucket. Then drill holes thru the channel and the hood, attach with aluminum pop rivets. Attach the gutter so it extends inward as there will be condensate running down the inside of the hood all during your boil. Also, get a 2-3 gal cooler jug, pre heat it and then just before going to the cottage, fill it with hot water. If it is a good cooler it will be hot the first day and still rather warm the second day. You want to be able to clean up. Another option is to just haul cold water and heat it when needed.
Thor is a good company to go with, quality workmanship.
The 2x4 will be the best if you can swing it, if not, get the 18x36, flues will do more than a a flat pan.. If you can swing the 2x4, I suggest 18" syrup pan and 30" flue pan.