PDA

View Full Version : Tappin in minnesota!!

Ereanna
03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi all!

I am new and I just wanted to post my first hello and introduce myself! I am tappin about 400 trees in the NEmadji state Forest this year. We tapped last weekend - got a first run for two days and then some cold weather. I am pretty new to sugaring. I joined friends at their sugarbushes for the past two years but this year me and my best friend are running our own camp.

We set-up camp two weeks ago. Built a longhouse style structure out of tamarack and spruce and covered it with wool blankets and tarps. We've got a 8-10 foot long pit fire in the center of the structure and two 55 gallon drums with the tops cut out for our boilers.

Our Sugarbush is a good stand of mostly older maples nestled between a tamarack/spruce bog. We've got atleast 30 trees that are large enough for 3 taps. And, quite a few double tappers.

We are using about 300 sumac taps. We de-barked them and burned the pithes out with a hot wire, then boiled the juices out and then carved them into spiles.

We are having agood time even though the first few nights (before we set up camp) the nighttime temeratures were close to 0 and we were stomping through snow that came above my knee.

The sugarbush is a 45 minute hike into the forest from the nearest road and there is one creek crossing. Which wasn't so bad for packing in camp since we had a tobagan and it was frozen, but it is going to be hell to pack camp out without the snow.

We plan on doing the whole camp without any "modern" conveniences - as primitive as possible: no motorize equipment, no chemicals, no 4-wheelers, no chainsaws, no vacuums, no propane, no oil lamps or propane lenterns. Just fire, hard work, good food to keep us going, and the resources around us.

None-the-less we are having a great time. And are enjoying more visitors and helpers then we expected! With usually about 4-6 people (and one baby) choppin wood and haulin buckets and keepin the fire burnin (though, the baby doesn't work much!)

Our first batch we boiled down about 55 gallons and got a few quarts of dark delicious vanilla flavored syrup. mmmm mmmm good! its totally worht it.

happy sugaring!

brookledge
03-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the site. The only problem is that you won't be able to read and post once you get hooked on this forum if your at the camp.
Why was your syrup vanilla flavored??
Keith

tapper
03-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Must be what you get by tapping virgin trees so deep in the bush or they forgot to mention the vodka that they may have packed in.

HanginAround
03-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, sounds like a lot of work, but very interesting! Welcome to the site!

Dave Y
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
ereanna,
welcome If you have a camera take lots of pictures I would really like to see this.And I thought I did it the hard way

maplehound
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Davey your picture link dosen't work. Just thought you should know, it takes you too a sign up page.

Dave Y
03-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Maplehound,
Try it now. When it comes to these kind of things I'm a moron!

HanginAround
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Excellent pics Dave! Thanks for sharing them.

maplehound
03-20-2007, 07:19 PM
They work great now and they look great too. I can't make syrup this year after my back sugery but I love seeing what everyone else is doing.

Dave Y
03-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Maplehound, As you can see from 05 to this year made a big jump. I got hooked and now I have to make syrup!

maplehound
03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
WE all get hooked. We never make much money, but we sure spend enough making syrup. That is the definition of getting hooked.