PDA

View Full Version : Got busted by the cops!

Bruce L
06-05-2016, 06:17 AM
I was driving our Kawasaki Mule down to the bush ,about 1/4 mile from here or less,cop sitting at the intersection where I cross. Gave me the big lecture on how much he could charge me with,luckily got my seatbelt on before he came up to me. Told me that I couldn't drive along the township road,nor cross the highway with it. I tried to explain to him that I was not off- roading,I was simply going back to the sugar house to lock up and clean up as we had just pressure washed the pans that morning. He ended up ticketing me for no helmet,it was too hot to wear one anyway I thought,told me that we wouldn't be able to drive the mule on the township road,nor cross the highway with it. Going to contact our MPP about that,should be an exemption when there is a SMV sign on the back,and it is used only for farm purposes.We use the mule for almost everything in the bush,gathering wood,driving between bushes,checking and repairing lines,spooling out main lines,drawing syrup home,etc,etc,and as my wife said we are not doing without it now,getting older and the mule has made life much easier.

lpakiz
06-05-2016, 07:43 AM
In Wisconsin, we apply for a special ag exemption, and receive an additional sticker. You can go almost anywhere, but you should have a claw hammer, a chain, or some item of farm use to demonstrate you are on farm business.
Can't remember if the ATV has to be registered for the conventional sticker first?

PerryFamily
06-05-2016, 08:48 AM
I believe the same would happen in VT as well if the cop wanted to push the subject. Most definitely it would with an atv . In Nh if you have a windshield,blinkers, wiper and dot tires you can register and operate in 35mph zones and under. In VT I think unless it's a tractor it's not considered agricultural? I could be wrong though
Think of the lost revenue in sales tax and registrations from the agricultural community!!

Maple Man 85
06-05-2016, 12:10 PM
In the last year or so our country highway was opened to atv use with the restriction of 35mph speed limit other as Ipakiz mentioned we can get an ag sticker.

wiam
06-05-2016, 02:21 PM
I believe the same would happen in VT as well if the cop wanted to push the subject. Most definitely it would with an atv . In Nh if you have a windshield,blinkers, wiper and dot tires you can register and operate in 35mph zones and under. In VT I think unless it's a tractor it's not considered agricultural? I could be wrong though
Think of the lost revenue in sales tax and registrations from the agricultural community!!

Not sure on atv's in VT but a truck or trailer does not need to be registered if used to carry inputs/outputs of agriculture. My dump trailer and cattle trailer are no reigistered. I carry a copy of that statute in my glovebox.

PerryFamily
06-05-2016, 03:15 PM
In the last year or so our country highway was opened to atv use with the restriction of 35mph speed limit other as Ipakiz mentioned we can get an ag sticker.

I wish VT would do this.I'd gladly pay the tax and register. I could get most places and all of my sugarbushes and be 35 mph and under

lakeview maple
06-05-2016, 06:26 PM
I got pulled over this spring headed to the sugarbush, I was on my 4 wheeler with my helmet on loaded with tapping material. I had talked with the local sheriff and he told me as long as I wore my helmet he wouldn't bother me knowing I was using it for work. Well Im headed down again to finish tapping and a state trooper pulled me over , didn't want to hear anything and gave me a ticket. I told him about the sheriff and all he kept saying was the law is the law. I offered to put a orange triangle on the back and he wasn't having it. So I asked how I can drive a 4 wheel tractor down road doing 25 mph and it was ok but to use my atv for ag purposes and going slower with all my gear and he wouldn't give me an answer just a ticket. I went to court and the local judge makes sugar as well he dismissed the ticket. Nothing better to do , drug dealers , people getting broken into , and your going to give someone working for a living a ticket.

Bucket Head
06-05-2016, 08:39 PM
I don't know what each state requires for the atv's to be agicultural use. I do know the Kubota utv's are considered a tractor because of their speed and weight. A guy near me owns one and he says he carries the paperwork with him stating that. However, he also has never been stopped. We'll see what happens when he is stopped sometime.

As for the cop giving you a ticket- you were the easy mark. Your right, there was real crime taking place somewhere in town, but taking care of that would have been like actual work.

Steve

AdirondackSap
06-05-2016, 11:48 PM
He knows you were using it for work. Means you have money for a ticket it's all about revenue these days.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-06-2016, 05:26 AM
we hang a red triangle on head ache rack and drive on state route 31. we have had staties come up behind us and not do anything, had thing loaded with sugaring equipment. Maybe lucky or they have more important things to do like get to the diner in poultney for food :lol:

additional revenue, for sure, I know a guy who mowed his lawn with chute facing road, statie stopped warned him that blowing grass onto highway was illegal, if he was caught again doing it he would be ticketed.

Cody
06-06-2016, 07:42 AM
You know there motto,To Serve And Protect.They were just looking out for you.

wiam
06-06-2016, 09:39 AM
we hang a red triangle on head ache rack and drive on state route 31. we have had staties come up behind us and not do anything, had thing loaded with sugaring equipment. Maybe lucky or they have more important things to do like get to the diner in poultney for food :lol:

additional revenue, for sure, I know a guy who mowed his lawn with chute facing road, statie stopped warned him that blowing grass onto highway was illegal, if he was caught again doing it he would be ticketed.

Blowing grass at the road is one of my biggest pet peeves. Having run a lawn care business I think it looks like an unfinished job. But it is also a major safety issue. A rock out the chute could be bad. Also slick wet clippings on blacktop could be very bad for bikes.

Maple Man 85
06-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Blowing grass at the road is one of my biggest pet peeves. Having run a lawn care business I think it looks like an unfinished job. But it is also a major safety issue. A rock out the chute could be bad. Also slick wet clippings on blacktop could be very bad for bikes.

Dangerous indeed, in my younger years while my wife and I were renting the landlord hired a service that ended up putting a rock through our vehicle window just moments after we got out. :o

ennismaple
06-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Bruce - Does your township or county not allow off-road vehicles on the shoulder at low speeds? Ours does. The machine has to be licensed & insured and you have to wear a helmet but otherwise you are good.

Dennis H.
06-06-2016, 11:58 PM
But if you blow the grass clippings in toward the yard then they would have to rake up those clippings and haul them to the wood line and throw them onto the neighbors land to get of them. Onto the road is so much easier.

Big_Eddy
06-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Bruce - Does your township or county not allow off-road vehicles on the shoulder at low speeds? Ours does. The machine has to be licensed & insured and you have to wear a helmet but otherwise you are good.

Up until July 1st last year, in Ontario, ATVs but not UTVs could be permitted on the roads by individual municipalities subject to insurance, licensing, licensed drivers and reduced speed limits. Ours allowed them in most rural areas with a 50km speed limit where typically 80kmh. ATVs were defined as having handle bars, not a steering wheel, and are straddled by the operator. In July 2015, the province modified the rules to add ORV / UTVs. See http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/drive-ATV-faq.shtml

There has always been a exemption within the Off Road Vehicles act for farm use.

Exception
(2) Despite subsection (1), and section 7, subsection 32 (1) and subsections 62 (1), (3) to (26) and (28) to (32) of the Highway Traffic Act, a holder of a driver’s licence issued under section 32 of the Highway Traffic Act who is not contravening any provision of this Act may drive an off-road vehicle,

(a) directly across a highway; or

(b) on a highway, if the vehicle is designed to travel on more than two wheels and the driver is,

(i) a farmer using the vehicle for agricultural purposes, or
(ii) a person licensed under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997 to trap furbearing mammals, if the person is using the vehicle for trapping purposes,

and the vehicle or a vehicle drawn by it bears a slow moving vehicle sign. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.4, s. 2 (2); 1997, c. 41, s. 123 (2).

Helmets are required in UTVs / ATVs under the most recent regulations.

wiam
06-09-2016, 06:29 PM
I wish VT would do this.I'd gladly pay the tax and register. I could get most places and all of my sugarbushes and be 35 mph and under

This is from VT statute.
b) An all-terrain vehicle may not be operated:
(1) Along a public highway unless it is not being maintained during the snow season or unless the highway has been opened to all-terrain vehicle travel by the selectmen or trustees or local governing body and is so posted by the municipality except an all-terrain vehicle being used for agricultural purposes may be operated not closer than three feet from the traveled portion of any highway for the purpose of traveling within the confines of the farm.

It does not mention anything about agriculture and registration. So not sure. No mention of SMV.