PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Ash Borer eating Beetle

BreezyHill
05-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Check this out
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-government-is-releasing-millions-of-parasitic-wasps-across-24-states/ar-BBtz120?li=BBnb7Kz

Hope this works!

BAP
05-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing BreezyHill. I hope it works before all the Ash trees are destroyed.

maple flats
05-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Good news, for once our gov't is making sense. Miracles will never cease.

maple maniac65
05-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Being a holiday weekend and the first major camping weekend of this year, the transportation of firewood from one's home to the campsite is very high. The chance of contamination is also increases. Friday evening I observed two mandatory pull offs for inspection of firewood in Northern NH. There is a 500 fine for transportation of firewood over county and state lines. What a mood breaker for ones great camping weekend when they were too frivolous to buy firewood locally and some do know the law. It is posted a campgrounds and has been on the tv, internet, and posted a rest areas. Firewood transportation is the major source of bugs traveling. Education is the hardest part.

ADK_XJ
06-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Good news, for once our gov't is making sense. Miracles will never cease.
Introducing a predatory species to wipe out another invasive/pest species? That's never back-fired on the government/continental scale...ever...

Smart *** comments aside from yours truly, I'd love to think we could stop the tide of the EAB and save some of specimen white ash I have at our place in Upstate NY and elsewhere but this is one of history's classic shortsighted moves. Hoping this is an exception and it doesn't turn out that these wasps turn to eating Sugar Maple buds when they kill off all the EAB larvae...Mother Nature is a mad scientist and the survival instinct is hard coded into every species' DNA.

Wannabe
06-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Introducing a predatory species to wipe out another invasive/pest species? That's never back-fired on the government/continental scale...ever...

Smart *** comments aside from yours truly, I'd love to think we could stop the tide of the EAB and save some of specimen white ash I have at our place in Upstate NY and elsewhere but this is one of history's classic shortsighted moves. Hoping this is an exception and it doesn't turn out that these wasps turn to eating Sugar Maple buds when they kill off all the EAB larvae...Mother Nature is a mad scientist and the survival instinct is hard coded into every species' DNA.

Yep, just like how we are now stuck with the infestation of the asian beetles..

RC Maple
06-04-2016, 08:39 AM
If the EAB can be controlled this way I think that we will again have ash trees. They don't seem too interested in the smaller ones and I have saplings growing all over the woods. Everything over 6" has been gone for awhile. Hopefully, this idea can work while there are still some older ash trees to save.

Maplesugar
07-22-2016, 01:38 PM
What about all the trains and semi's that haul logs all over the country! The paper-mill yards and other fuel yards that burn wood?