PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator repair

Diesel Pro
05-26-2016, 09:47 AM
I have a Wes Fab evaporator in need of repairs. While moving it I caught the legs and bent them. When I went to pull them straight I found that the frame was not properly welded (my opinion) and easily twisted. This is an easy fix with a small weld where the angle is opening up, but really no excuse for the poor quality. Even a good solid tack weld would suffice here. I also plan to run a cross brace between each leg plus a pair of diagonals up to the frame as the legs are really quite flimsy. I move my cooker annually so durability is a key.

What really shocked me was the way that the stack outlet spout was constructed. It's just thin sheet steel maybe 1/8" thick and it's only held by a handful of tack welds on the inner edge. This is what I would consider a high stress area with a lot of heat and corrosive oxidation action going on here. This really should have been a 1/4" x 3/4" or 1" flat stock, but for now I think the existing metal will last me long enough. I definitely think it should be welded a whole lot more than a handful of tacks. My thought was to run a bead around the outside. Not sure I need to do a full weld, but at a bare minimum I'd say a bunch of 1-2" welds?

Opinions?

Once I have the repairs done I need to consider mods to improve ease of use. I'm looking at adding a detachable or folding side stand that I can slide the pan(s) off onto to cool. Right now I have 2 pans. A 12" and a 36" more or less. With this setup and an open center it takes 2 people to remove either pan as there is no center support.