PDA

View Full Version : The time has come!

maple flats
05-25-2016, 04:10 PM
I'm pulling the plug! Today I told my boss I'm going to retire (from driving school bus, which has been my post retirement job since '98) sometime next month. My wife has been after me to retire for about 3 years now. I'll still do maple and blueberries, might find other things to do too. One thing I've been wanting to give a try, is forging, I might even try making a knife.

western mainer
05-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Good for you!
Brian

heus
05-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Congratulations

lakeview maple
05-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Congratulations ,enjoy

Paddymountain
05-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Work is so overrated anyway!!!

K.I. Joe
05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Congrats to you

claystroup
05-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Congratulations!

Dennis H.
05-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Don't cut your self.

Good luck.

bigtreemaple
05-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Congrats, and remember, Work expands to fill the time available!

maple flats
05-27-2016, 04:56 AM
I know that well. The main thing when I retire (end of day 6/17/16) is that I can get into a project and quit on my schedule rather than having to watch the clock for my afternoon run. In the future I'll still take a few field trips but will not likely do any sub driving on runs. That will start in Sept. If I decide to do any.
Right now I have 13 more days to drive, 3 next week and 5 each the following 2 weeks. However, I took 6/15/16 off to do a maple presentation at an elementary school. I may take some sick days out of there too, or I lose them. We get paid (a %) of any sick time we retire with, but I have more than the allowed max.
In contract negotiations a year ago, the business manager said we are not smart enough to use up the extras, since he said that I've been using them up.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-27-2016, 06:48 AM
Time for a bigger RO and more taps.

lastwoodsman
05-27-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm pulling the plug! Today I told my boss I'm going to retire (from driving school bus, which has been my post retirement job since '98) sometime next month. My wife has been after me to retire for about 3 years now. I'll still do maple and blueberries, might find other things to do too. One thing I've been wanting to give a try, is forging, I might even try making a knife.

I am with you, just retired Friday of last week. Still think I'm on vacation. Going to 4 or 500 taps next spring and can focus on bottling room now! Free at last!! Congratulations!!

Woodsman

maple flats
05-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Time for a bigger RO and more taps.
I'm not sure about adding more, but I may be able to do the 700 that I had this year better. I'm going to try to sell my set up in my other lease (I have 2 leases). I will likely add up to maybe 100 at my sugarhouse, possibly up to 200 to be max. Then, in a year or 2 I'll likely either sell my last lease or just pull the tubing and tank there.
At my age, I'm trying to scale down, but not stop.

DaveB
05-31-2016, 02:54 PM
Congratulations & good luck on the forge. Just be careful with the heat. It's a lot hotter than an arch! I built a small one and it's a step up in the heat department!

maple flats
05-31-2016, 05:16 PM
I might make one too. I looked at plans to make one using an old mower deck inverted for the tub, and make the burn pot out of a brake rotor. At this time, that's a back up plan. I think I'd prefer a hand crank blower but haven't found one yet I want to try. I saw one that may work but I'm not sure. It is a mil. surplus bunker vent blower from the 60's but the price was over $200 if I recall , it looks like what I see on antique forges, but I have no idea if it would blow enough air. At that price I wouldn't want to experiment. It just seemed too high. I'll keep looking. I could use an electric blower but I prefer manual.

maple flats
05-31-2016, 05:24 PM
By the way, I have 13 working days left BUT I need to burn 9 days of sick time. The head boss stated at contract negotiations last year that we (drivers) were not smart enough to use up excess sick time above what can be carried forward (or can be cashed in at retirement). Since then I've been taking the time. I can only cash in a total of 700 hrs. and I have about 50 more than that, so, I feel a little sick, I may need to get some rest, in the next 13 scheduled working days.

BAP
05-31-2016, 05:31 PM
I would feel sick too Dave if I had time that I was going to lose.

Homestead Maple
06-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Congrats, and remember, Work expands to fill the time available!

Yup.....the honey - do list will probably get longer!

BreezyHill
06-03-2016, 03:38 PM
I am sure it has been a difficult decision to make. I hope it is the right decision for you and your family.

Slowing down can be a very good path. I pray the decision is everything you expect it to be.

Ben