PDA

View Full Version : Mice & jugs

Tube-tamer II
03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Went to get out our supply of quart jugs and lo and behold there was a mouse nest in the bag with the jugs in the box. I have rinsed and scalded the jugs however can still smell the mouse nest smell. What can be done to neutralize this smell. I thought about chlorox in a water bath, or would that leave a residual to taint the syrup? Any advice would be appreciated as we are looking at 62 jugs. Thanks.

Parker
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Throw them in the dump and get some new ones,,not worth taking the chance,,store the next one in a sealabel container-tote,,,just my 2 cents,,you know what those mice do inside those jugs right???

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Get new ones...I wouldn't take the risk of something being left behind. They have ALL KINDS of fun inside there. LOL

TapME
03-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I hope if you have cats they are eating well.
I would get rid of the jugs and consider a better place for storage, just my 2 pennies. I had real issues with them myself this year.

tuckermtn
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
see if in your community you can recycle # 2 plastic...but I would not use them for syrup...I chucked out bag of quarts last fall...probably $50 worth

invested in some traps and totes...

-tuckermtn

H. Walker
03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Put yourself in the position of the consumer. I would be some ticked off if I bought a jug of "something" and then found out a mouse had crapped in it, regardless of how well it was cleaned after!!

SapSuckers
03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I think Walker sumed it up best

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-19-2007, 04:10 PM
post edited

Fred Henderson
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I have been in a few Sugar Houses that smelled like mouse pee because they did not have any rodent control. My jugs all go back into sealable plastic bags and the into cradborad boxes that are tapped shut. Not fool proof but agreed that totes would be better.

Bucket Head
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Throw the jug's away. They will never "release" that odor. Plastic is porous and it absorb's the smell of whatever was in the container.

Ever smell the inside of a plastic barrel that had soda syrup in it? Despite many cleaning's, you can still smell the syrup in it. The difference here being
that soda syrup is not as offensive as mouse dropping's.

Also, I would not store any jug's in a damp, mildewy, or musty smelling area. They will take on that musty odor.

Steve

H. Walker
03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Governor;

No pot to stir here!

I like to give advice and it is only worth what you pay!!

maple flats
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem 2 seasons ago. I tossed them. I now store my jugs in the plastic bag inside new metal trash cans with the lids bungeed on. Something with squared corners would be better but I haven't tried any yet. Big totes are too pricey but I may eventually bite the bullet.

hard maple
03-21-2007, 01:12 AM
governor
Can I purchase some of your syrup???

Parker
03-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Gov- I think Viki Smith wants to come and look over you sugarhouse,,test your syrup.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
post edited