PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck for 3/16 tubing and t's

Snowmad
04-30-2016, 06:43 AM
I'm looking to go to 3/16 next year and there are a few open house discounts I can take advantage of in the next week or so. I'm wondering, from everyone's experience, what company is the best for pricing and quality for tubing, t's, and taps (spiles). It looks like Leader has the best deal at $45 for an 800' roll of tubing. Looking at their book though, it looks like they were a little late to the 3/16 party and don't have any of the connectors or taps in their book although I believe they have them now. Has anyone had a bad experience with one brand over another as far a leakage, ease of working with and assembly, or durability? I'm not looking for brand bashing, I'm just interested in hearing what folks are using and what worked well and proved to be the most economical for them. My main choices are Leader, CDL, and D&G. If there is another source I'm not aware of I'd appreciate those leads too. Economics are important because I've already invested a lot of money this year but I want a system that will last. I do not plan on having any mainline in my situation I will just be using the 3/16. Thank you for any advise!

GeneralStark
04-30-2016, 07:36 AM
At this point I pretty much only use CDL tubing and fittings whether for 5/16 or 3/16. It has always worked well for me. I actually waited to try 3/16 until there was a T with a 5/16 drop barb and this year CDL came out with it. I personally like the flexibility of being able to use different 5/16 spouts like check valves or whatever else.

lakeview maple
04-30-2016, 07:41 AM
I have used D&G tubing and fittings, really happy with both, the tubing was great to work with . I have used a few of the CDL fittings and they were good too. I didn't used the Leader tubing . I hung 200 taps this last season on 3/16th and I am adding 200 more and Ill use D&G .

jmayerl
04-30-2016, 07:49 AM
I put up 8000 feet of cdl tubing and fittings, I ran out and had to use D&G because it was all I could get on a Saturday...after struggling with the crapy tubing for 1 run I stopped and will never use D&G ever again. Can't comment on leaders stuff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-30-2016, 08:49 AM
CDL has 1,000' rolls for $ 56.75.

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-30-2016, 08:59 AM
D&G is to soft for laterals!!! Leader is good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmayerl
04-30-2016, 09:26 AM
CDL has 1,000' rolls for $ 56.75.

Was there just a big price drop or did my dealer F*** us by charging $49 for 500'

Robert K
04-30-2016, 12:14 PM
I experimented for the past 3 years and used all 3types of tubing this season. Leader is much like its 5/16 30p and pulls well through trees. Cdl seemed softer, and D&G softer still. I only experienced micro leaks on 2 spots were I installed fittings at the end of the day and chalk that up to being tired. The fittings went on a Little harder on to the leader versus the other 2, but the leader line drooped less on warm days. To each his or her own I say. I did finish my lines using a hot-end system and would recommend due to ease of install.
CDL offers a good line of fittings, I will probably be using them exclusively next season, perhaps with the leader 3/16 line. That my 2 cents :D

markcasper
04-30-2016, 12:34 PM
I used Leader 30p 3/16 for 120 new ones this spring. Something like $40 or $41 for 800 feet on sale. Always have liked Leader tubing. Used CDL spouts 3/16" and liked them too, easy to pull out and all sealed very well. Did not have any plugged up during and even after the season as others have said of 3/16 plugging up sometimes.

maple flats
04-30-2016, 03:59 PM
I only used the D&G and really liked it, but you do need to learn how to use it. It grips the tree, so you need to carry the spooler or roll with you, but it has great elasticity, pull it tight one time, and even if a limb or tree falls on it, just remove that and it returns to a nice tight line. I looked at the Leader in 3/16 once they got it in stock, but it is exactly like what the make in 5/16. The only advantage is that you can most likely pull it all from one end. One the flif side it will stretch but not return to tight so you will be doing more repairs all season. On Leader I can't speak on micro leaks, but with the D&G using a hot end system I had zero leaks all season except when a tree rat tested it.

Cody
04-30-2016, 04:54 PM
We used cdl fittings with the 5/16 drop,liked the flexibility to use different spouts.For the line we used Leader,CDL andH20.Leader line when we hung it it broke from stretching to much a couple times,didn't care for that.Cdl worked good,stretched tight and held tight to trees.H2o line cost more but really pleased with it.You can hang it super tight and it sticks to the tree's like glue.Have to take spool with you when hanging and pull tight as you go.It is light green and translucent.You can see sap flowing through it 100' feet away when the sun is shining on it,kinda mesmerizing.At the end of season when we pulled taps looked perfectly clean no mold that you could see.Time will tell which one performs best.Had a tree fall over the H20 line ,after we cut tree and moved it off of line it went right back to what it was, didn't stretch at all.

binski
05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Cody
Where do you buy your H2O line?

Cody
05-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Cody
Where do you buy your H2O line?Woods Maple Syrup in Elmwood,WI.715-308-3684 and there is one in Birnamwood,WI Sippl's Sugarbush,715-449-3426or715-216-4627