PDA

View Full Version : Small scale vacuum system for us little guys. (Less then 250 taps)

Jolly Acres Farm
04-28-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm looking at getting into a vacuum system for this next year. The long 3 1/2 collections by flashlight after working 12 hours shifts did me in this year. What type of systems are available for us small scale operations under 250 taps. What type of vacuum pumps are those of you with these size systems using. I'll be tapping around 175-200 trees spread out over a few acres of land with little to no slop in spots and <5% in others.
Anyone with pictures of setups would also be a welcome help.

motowbrowne
04-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Look up Shurflo pumps on this website. There's tons of good info. I bought one on Amazon for $70 and got 15" of vacuum on 100 taps on 5/16 without doing any of the recirculation loops or anything special.

I'm planning on running 350 taps on 3/16 tubing and Shurflo pumps next year.

jmayerl
04-28-2016, 03:05 PM
That is too many taps for 1 Shurflo. Best to look into a bender releaser if you want to do it on the cheap.

motowbrowne
04-28-2016, 03:42 PM
That is too many taps for 1 Shurflo. Best to look into a bender releaser if you want to do it on the cheap.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or the OP, but I'm planning on running 2 Shurflo pumps. Total cost for pumps and screens: $150. Add some plumbing parts and I'll be in business.

Clinkis
04-28-2016, 05:49 PM
A shurflo will comfortably handle 100 taps so if you have 2 pumps on 200 that would be a good option. I ran 101 taps on. 3/4 main with a 3.5 GPM 2088 shurflo with minimal slope (around 1 degree) and it worked great. Going to a full vacuum system definitely has some advantages but will be more complicated and expensive.

BAP
04-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Also look at Guzzler pumps by Bosworth Pumps. The MapleGuys, this sites sponsor sells them. They will handle more taps than a Shurflo and are a diaphragm pump so no releaser is needed.

BreezyHill
04-28-2016, 09:26 PM
14273 This is my current releaser. I have about $100 in it all together. It is an old Delaval Electric Dairy releaser from the 1960's. It pumps the sap up to the ceiling and across the sap house to an RO batch tank.

14274 This is the old releaser that was a pre 1960's releaser with additional vacuum balance tank and sap filter added in a manifold design. This can be made with the use of two swing check valves and a three way solenoid valve.

14275 This is an old BB1 vacuum pump. This will do around 300 taps. I have scored a Surge 100+ with 5Hp motor for $100 before so watch your areas farm auctions.

send me a pm and I will help you out in sizing the pump you find and a releaser system. Some will look down on those of us tha are able to recycle used equipment but I like having all those green backs in my pocket. LOL

Doesn't matter if the releaser is SS or glass I have the knowledge to make them work in sap.

Ben

Waynehere
04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
If you go the Shurflo route, make sure that you add a second draw line from the tank with some sort of control valve. I found this out late in the season this year and what a difference it makes. Basically you are keeping the pump wet all the time and it really creates way more vacuum on your lines. I had a steady stream with that setup. Will definitely have this hooked up for next season. Of course when you go to collect your tank, you have to leave a little in it to keep the pump going... :)

Jolly Acres Farm
04-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Ben, thank you this is the ideas I'm looking for.

I have looked at the Guzzler, but don't like the life of the diaphragms, ie needing to be replaced often.

BreezyHill
04-29-2016, 10:16 PM
It is hard to beat a tried and true system that has been working very day for the last 50+ years. And I don't see any draw backs to recycling them into the maple industry from the dairy industry.

I got a surge releaser for $150 off ebay that came from your neck of the woods. Releaser, pump and water trap all on one 3' square metal plate. Even had the stainless box that houses the contactor box for the pump on it. Feed it with vacuum and 110 volts and you are good to go.

Vacuum pumps will vary a lot. You will likely find a larger pump for less than the small single bucket pumps that the sheep and goat milkers want. Large pump just will mean more $$$ in electric to run the larger motor but not to much more as long as you say in the 2-3 hp range. The 5-10 hp will cost more by a fair amount. Takes a fair amount more just to spin that big rotor it seems.

There was a Delaval 84 in my area for $200 with a 10hp motor but it was sold when I called the next morning. Somebody got a steal.

Be patent and keep an eagle eye out for a deal.

Ben

rhwells2003
05-02-2016, 06:59 AM
2 years ago I wanted to jump into vacuum. But didn't want to go crazy. I went the shurflo route on 350 taps, on 2,000' of 1" pipe, 5/16 laterals, no more then 6-7 taps/lateral, all tapped on 3+ acres. It did absolutely nothing. I'm sorry but I think anything over 100 taps for these little pumps is too much. What would you do with more then 100 taps? Multiple pumps, multiple batteries? No thanks! I bit the bullet, spent $1000 on gas powered gast 1550, and a releaser. quadrupled my sap this year, and paid for the pump and releaser in the first 2 weeks of the season. Just my .02

jmayerl
05-02-2016, 01:28 PM
2 years ago I wanted to jump into vacuum. But didn't want to go crazy. I went the shurflo route on 350 taps, on 2,000' of 1" pipe, 5/16 laterals, no more then 6-7 taps/lateral, all tapped on 3+ acres. It did absolutely nothing. I'm sorry but I think anything over 100 taps for these little pumps is too much. Just my .02

Yeah, you are WAY over the pumps capacity. They only get about .5cfm when wet so they can handle 50 taps with small leaks or up to 100 on a tight system. I think ours worked well ok with 135 taps but only got 15-18" because of the volume is sap and gasses was at its limits

adk1
05-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm looking at getting into a vacuum system for this next year. The long 3 1/2 collections by flashlight after working 12 hours shifts did me in this year. What type of systems are available for us small scale operations under 250 taps. What type of vacuum pumps are those of you with these size systems using. I'll be tapping around 175-200 trees spread out over a few acres of land with little to no slop in spots and <5% in others.
Anyone with pictures of setups would also be a welcome help.

I have a guzzler pump on 185 taps. the 185 were already on good gravity but now on the pump. works really well until you get a squirrel chew.

rhwells2003
05-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Yeah, you are WAY over the pumps capacity. They only get about .5cfm when wet so they can handle 50 taps with small leaks or up to 100 on a tight system. I think ours worked well ok with 135 taps but only got 15-18" because of the volume is sap and gasses was at its limits

I agree 100%, 100 taps max with these set-ups. I was convinced to try it from reading some posts on here that say how great these little pumps are, and how some people were saying they're pulling high vac, and they'll handle 250+ taps. They just can't. They don't pull enough air. My system is tight, first day I put my gast online I was running 1400rpm, and was pulling 26" on 350 taps, and the year with my shurflow I received just as much as sap/tap as my couple buckets around the house, and that was on 350 taps. Which means to me it worked as good as gravity. You can't believe everything you read on the internet which includes on here. Shurflow pumps and 3/16 tubing aren't gods gift. Yes they work in some limited capacities in the industry, but not as much as they are praised about on here.

Jolly Acres Farm
05-03-2016, 07:42 AM
I agree 100%, 100 taps max with these set-ups. I was convinced to try it from reading some posts on here that say how great these little pumps are, and how some people were saying they're pulling high vac, and they'll handle 250+ taps. They just can't. They don't pull enough air. My system is tight, first day I put my gast online I was running 1400rpm, and was pulling 26" on 350 taps, and the year with my shurflow I received just as much as sap/tap as my couple buckets around the house, and that was on 350 taps. Which means to me it worked as good as gravity. You can't believe everything you read on the internet which includes on here. Shurflow pumps and 3/16 tubing aren't gods gift. Yes they work in some limited capacities in the industry, but not as much as they are praised about on here.

Thank you for your words of wisdom and caution.....