PDA

View Full Version : Construction is finally underway!

YoungFamilyFarm
04-28-2016, 09:05 AM

We got started on the new sugar house, and hopefully we can keep up the momentum as summer nears. It's a 16x48, and we will be constructing 9/12 pitch rafters. There will be an 8x16 wood area on one end, 16x24 evaporator room and a 16x16 sap/RO room on the other. Hoping it's big enough and well planned enough, but I'm sure I'll have some regrets by the time it's all said and done...

jimsudz
04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Brian are you going with a loft or are you just going to lop off the extra pole length. I don't want to be a butt head but I'd raise up your headers and go with a taller side wall. Looks to me your just clearing your man door. You can put a loft in for storage. My side walls are only 8' and I wish they were 10 or 12'. Just a thought.

maple flats
04-28-2016, 03:20 PM
I agree, my side walls are only 10' and that is about the least you want. Consider the evaporator with a hood and maybe a steamaway some day. That would be tight. The sap/RO area and wood storage will be ok with the lower ceilings. Put loft storage over those to equal the height you do for the evaporator ceiling.
You are starting at the right time of year. When I built I started in May, foolishly going to get a permit (no permit needed for farm structures, but I didn't know that and they didn't tell me). Then they made me jump thru a bunch of hoops, I finally got my permit approval the Tues. before Thanksgiving. Then the work was pushed to bad weather, cold, rain, snow but I did manage to boil that next spring in the unfinished shell, on a wooden platform

Burnt sap
04-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Keep us posted with pictures. I'm thinking of starting ours this summer as soon as we finish some other projects. Can always use new ideas.

heus
04-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on the new sugarhouse

YoungFamilyFarm
04-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. I'll ry and throw some pics up as things progress. Gonna be an expensive year!

MISugarDaddy
04-29-2016, 05:35 AM
I agree with Dave, it is nice to see you got started now so you have time to get it built during nice weather. Looks like it is going to be a nice place to boil and bottle your syrup. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Gary

GeneralStark
04-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Congrats! Just curious but is this a common construction method in PA? I have seen several sugarhouse posts on the forums in which new sugarhouses in PA were being built this way. ie burying PT posts.

What are you doing for a floor? I would highly encourage a slab with floor drain. And I would ditto what others said about a 10' wall. If you ever go with hoods you will need the headroom.

YoungFamilyFarm
04-29-2016, 12:55 PM
"Pole" buildings are extremely common around here. I will be running hoods, but the rafters will only be top tied, so we will end up 14' in the center (9/12 pitch, 16' to peak). I am putting an isolated 12" slab for the evaporator, then gutter drains down both sides before pouring a 5" floor throughout (also, a center drain in sap room). Pretty exciting for us. We chose a spot where the main line will come right into the sugar house, so no more hauling :)

YoungFamilyFarm
05-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Might not look like a ton of progress to some folks, but we have come quite far in a couple weekends of working. Interior walls are framed, garage door frames are finished, floor drains are in, evaporator foundation is poured, floor grade is nearly set and we'll likely pour all the concrete this week. I started fabricating some rafters yesterday and put them up where posts were just to get started. Dad and I will have a full day on rafters real soon along with lots of bracing and final framing before we decide what to do with sheeting. Having fun though, and the kids are enjoying hanging out and playing in the dirt!

MISugarDaddy
05-10-2016, 04:43 AM
I think you have made good progress considering the work you are doing. People who have never constructed a building don't realize how much time it takes to do the "little" things that you have been working on. It takes time to do it right. I think anyone on this site who have constructed their own sugarhouse will appreciate all of your recent work.
Gary

sap retreiver
05-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Quite right! Take your time and do it right the first time. Looking good!

YoungFamilyFarm
06-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Definitely not a fast process, but we've got time I suppose. Dad and I plug along on weekends, and get done what we can weather permitting. I picked up my evaporator last week. I'll get pics up when it's in. It sure is satisfying knowing we have 4 generations on this project. Lots of memories and family time. That's what this is all about for us!

jimsudz
06-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Looking good !

Shaun
06-17-2016, 06:29 PM
I think you have made good progress considering the work you are doing. People who have never constructed a building don't realize how much time it takes to do the "little" things that you have been working on. It takes time to do it right. I think anyone on this site who have constructed their own sugarhouse will appreciate all of your recent work.
Gary

Agreed, and all the "little" money....

Windy Acres
07-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Looking good buddy!

YoungFamilyFarm
07-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Of course, there is a TON of work to do yet but we finished the building itself. Now for organizing everything and getting equipment set up. Big thanks to my Dad, Grandfather and Son for working together on this one.

MISugarDaddy
07-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Brian,
There may still be some work to get done like you said, but now you don't have to worry about the weather when you want to work on it. Super nice job all of you have done. Not sure of what you had before, but I am sure this is going to be a major improvement. You have a really nice looking building!!!
Gary

YoungFamilyFarm
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Brian,
There may still be some work to get done like you said, but now you don't have to worry about the weather when you want to work on it. Super nice job all of you have done. Not sure of what you had before, but I am sure this is going to be a major improvement. You have a really nice looking building!!!
Gary

Thanks Gary! This is my generation's first sugar house. My Grandfather's sugar house came down years ago and we decided to start back up. We cooked at a neighbor's and sold sap last year, so we had lots of time to decide what we wanted to do with this project. While my Dad didn't get to produce in his youth, he is going to be working with me now and that will close the loop on 6 "continuous" generations of producers in the same stand of timber on a 7 generation farm. Really unique and cool opportunity. We have only tapped 5 of 65 maple stand acres so far, and will determine expansion once we settle in. Don't want to get crazy though! It's supposed to be fun!

MISugarDaddy
07-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Brian,
It is really great to hear that you are continuing the family tradition. I am sure your Dad is enjoying and looking forward to making syrup with you and your son. I showed your progress pictures to my wife and she said the same as I did, NICE JOB. We are happy that your entire family is a part of this adventure.
Gary

Windy Acres
07-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Looks good! You will love the shack, and that evaporator is going to surprise you!

YoungFamilyFarm
10-03-2016, 06:52 AM

I haven't updated things here in a while. This has turned into the most expensive (by far) and time consuming project I have ever undertaken personally. But, it's all coming together and we are very proud of it. The sap room is getting way too full. I will be moving the Deer Run Maple 500 R.O. in soon as well, so things will be crowded on that end of the building. The 800 gallon dairy tank is for permeate water storage. The releaser/extractor is sitting on a 750 gallon raw sap tank. The lower 320 gallon dairy tank will be 1st pass R.O. and the 240 gallon elevated head tank will feed the evaporator with 2nd pass concentrate. (all this assuming a good run, or we'll go straight to head tank in one pass for slower runs)

YoungFamilyFarm
10-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Here are some more updates of the evaporator as it comes together. I tried to do a good job with ceramic blanket before bricking, so hopefully I did it right. I am 6 ft 2 in so I needed to jack things up a couple courses of block worth. My 5 ft tall wife now says she needs a platform to see in the pan, and a ladder to get to the hood doors! Ooops. Anyways... The stacks are up and I am ready to start plumbing everything. Hopefully we will boil water by the holidays so we can shake down the operation and identify/fix any issues before sugaring starts. We tapped January 27th last year, so I already feel like I'm running out of time! I need 12Rubicon to hook me up with some advice on this evaporator. I'm wondering if I should take the pre-heater back out running concentrate on 500 taps. I guess that should go into the evaporator forum!

MISugarDaddy
10-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Brian,
Your first post today made me laugh because of two topics you mentioned in the first two lines; being how expensive the project becomes and how all that space starts to get filled up way too quickly. I don't think it would matter how big you build your sugarhouse, it never seems to be overly large. Both my wife and I keep saying we should have made ours 4' wider and 4' longer at a minimum. Your project is coming together very nicely and none too soon as early as you tap in your area. Keep up the good work and continue having fun with it. Now you have an idea for a present for your wife...a stepladder!!
Gary

Windy Acres
10-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Looks great buddy!, i wouldn't take out the preheater, the people i buy all my H20 stuff from are running 17% concentrate on a 5x14,you want everything the evaporator will give you, you should be good, everything else looks like youve got under control!i wish i had those grates for mine, as im adding AOF this year

YoungFamilyFarm
10-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I took Andy a bunch of AOF information when I picked mine up. He was building some manifolds and experimenting. He has those grates down there if you need one. I believe they are cast 30" long and he cuts 6" off for the 2 ft fireboxes.

Windy Acres
10-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I am going to build my manifolds and mount them outside the arch, we will see how it goes