PDA

View Full Version : making very dark from dark syrup

Circle C Farm
04-24-2016, 06:40 PM
I have a lot of dark syrup but I need very dark. Is there a way to make very dark from dark syrup. Thanks in advance for any information.

motowbrowne
04-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I have a lot of dark syrup but I need very dark. Is there a way to make very dark from dark syrup. Thanks in advance for any information.

Every time you heat it and cool it it will darken slightly. You'll have to add water (preferably distilled) to keep the density correct.

n8hutch
04-24-2016, 07:14 PM
I have a lot of dark syrup but I need very dark. Is there a way to make very dark from dark syrup. Thanks in advance for any information. Anyone around you can trade with? I've also had pretty good luck getting people to try what I have and decide that it was Just fine.

maple maniac65
04-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Add good taste good commercial

maple flats
04-24-2016, 08:18 PM
That seems like a strange request. At least in my case, I sell lots of Dark but very little "Very Dark".

RileySugarbush
04-24-2016, 09:08 PM
I've had some success darkening syrup by boiling finished bottles in a pressure cooker! No new niter since it never boils in the bottle. Sustained high temp darkens the syrup. Set on low, the temp holds at about 220. It may take quite a while and you can only do a few bottles at a time.

Tater
04-25-2016, 08:54 PM
I thought niter would precipitate out at anything over 190. :confused:

maple flats
04-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Niter only comes with more evaporation. It is the precipitation of saturated minerals in the syrup. If you can heat it without having any evaporation you should not get more niter. However, I've never tried it.

ennismaple
04-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Bring the Dark syrup to a boil and keep adding water. Boiling will cause more caramelization and result in Very Dark after a while.

RileySugarbush
04-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Niter only comes with more evaporation. It is the precipitation of saturated minerals in the syrup. If you can heat it without having any evaporation you should not get more niter. However, I've never tried it.

I have. No new niter formed in the bottles in the pressure cooker. It might not always work that way, I only tried it once.