PDA

View Full Version : Releaser question

maple maniac65
03-18-2007, 07:34 AM
I have a Giles Bernard single vertical mechanical releaser. Run by a DeLaval 73 at 18" (any higher and this one knocks real hard) My problem is that sometime the releaser does not dump when it is full. Or it does not open for more than a second or two. When this happens the vacuum goes all the way down to 5" before it will dump. This happens for a while then it straigtens out.

1. I cleaned the rod that goes through the top of the releaser.
2. Float is at proper height.
3. There is a plexiglass slide that switches vacuum. That is clean.

Is the problem in the pressure switch inside the top tube?

Mike
03-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Try putting food grade grease on your float rod...It could be sticking..

HanginAround
03-18-2007, 09:59 AM
You should use mineral oil on the rod, and on the sliding parts for the vaccuum control too.

maplwrks
03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Your releaser is flooding, lube all moving parts with mineral oil. Check your o rings to be sure they are not cracked.

NH Maplemaker
03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Maplemaniac65, When this happens try backing down your vacuum ! What maybe happening is your vacuum is perventig your pump from pulling open the check valve. As these pump get older they lose a little pressure! Also when you frist start them up, things are a little sticky and all this helps the vacuum to keep the check valve from opening! Hope this helps. I have had this happen to me.
Maplemaker

PS. If you don,t have a check valve between the pump and the releaser,vacuum can still over come pump pressure if to high or pump is getting old.

royalmaple
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
This may or may not be what you are going through, but the single gilles bernard releaser I have in the woods is at about 18 inches and I noticed that sometimes when it dumps, it dumps then seems to close prematurely, or suddenly close. I've watched it and it seems like this happens more when the unit is being bumped or shaken hard by the movement of the pump. I think the vibration is knocking the control arm down too soon, which then sucks the plunger back and resets the vacuum on the main chamber. So you didn't get a full dump.

Seems like this is when I am right there, and I think I am also bumping the vacuum line from the pump the releaser which also makes the vibration worse by bumping it. I put two rubber unions in the line going from the pump to the releaser to help absorb the shock or vibration from the pump. Seems to help. That's kevin's idea so I can't take credit.