PDA

View Full Version : flue pan leaking

drpausch
04-23-2016, 08:48 PM
We have a 30" X 6' Leader King soldered drop flue. Or should I say had? I screwed up and now we have a leaking pan. What are the options to get it fixed? Can it be welded now? Can it be re-soldered somehow? i know I am not the first, so there has to be some advise for me. Thanks.

psparr
04-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Can be resoldered easily

maple flats
04-24-2016, 06:10 AM
To solder it you need to use soldering irons for best results and a good SS flux. I suggest "Sal Ammoniac". That is what a master tinsmith told me to use when I was adding a thermometer port to my pans 2 evaporators ago. You must get the spot being soldered absolutely clean, both physically and chemically, then use a silver solder (lead free of course).

drpausch
04-27-2016, 09:00 PM
I have a welding instructor that is willing try tig welding to fix it, Will that work?

mellondome
04-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Is it in a soldered seam? If so, probably not. As he welds, he will be melting the solder around the weld, creating more leaks.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-28-2016, 05:16 AM
acid clean the pan, rinse well and then pressure wash it, take it to some one who has the right tools to re-solder it. I did this with mine last year, took it to Leader and they re-soldered it for me. I think my bill was only 65.00 because I cleaned it so well for them all they had to do was the soldering.

If you start paying some one 65 an hr to clean your pan before they can solder, that will add up quick.

n8hutch
04-28-2016, 05:18 AM
I have a welding instructor that is willing try tig welding to fix it, Will that work?

I have seen a few people do this successfully, usually you end up chasing the Solder for a considerable distance with the welder. Best bet is to find someone good at soldering.

drpausch
04-28-2016, 08:04 AM
acid clean the pan, rinse well and then pressure wash it, take it to some one who has the right tools to re-solder it. I did this with mine last year, took it to Leader and they re-soldered it for me. I think my bill was only 65.00 because I cleaned it so well for them all they had to do was the soldering.

If you start paying some one 65 an hr to clean your pan before they can solder, that will add up quick.

What is the best way to clean the pan to get it ready?

Maple Man 85
04-28-2016, 11:01 AM
I successfully soldered my pan last year, YouTube is an amazing tool but beware of the people that think they know what they are doing. There is a video of how to solder stainless which was very helpful I had to solder copper to stainless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0aLDxlvXk [/URL]

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-29-2016, 07:53 AM
What is the best way to clean the pan to get it ready?
I use CDL pan cleaner, got evaporator boiling dumped it in let it sit for a few days, neutralized the acid and then just pressure washed it really good.