PDA

View Full Version : New SugarHouse

DeepGibou
04-20-2016, 09:23 AM
This is my very first post so take it easy on me :)

We currently have a 12X16 sugar house but last year bought a 2X8 arch see a read need to build a bigger sugar house. The Plan is to add a steam away and hood in the new sugar house as well as a holding tank above the rafters and hopefully room for the other equipment such as the filter press, storage, counter top. etc..

My hope is that some of you will share any lessons learned in hopes I can avoid mistakes. I am not quite set on size or construction yet but my initial thought was a 20 X 22 on a poured slab. Not sure if I need a coupala or not with a hood? I welcome anyone's input as to where to place the arch, how big I should build, what/where is the best place to keep the firewood etc..

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Cedar Eater
04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the site and let me be the first to give you the conventional wisdom that I often see quoted here. "Build it twice as big as you think you need. That way you will only have to expand it once."

BAP
04-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Don't forget, if you plan on a steam-away and a hood you will need more building height.

Michael Greer
04-23-2016, 07:45 AM
A steam hood will eliminate the need for a cupola. It's nice to have some sort of openable window up high just to allow whatever steam escapes from the evaporator a way out.

lpakiz
04-23-2016, 08:13 AM
A loft over part of the main floor gives you a great place to store stuff. My head tank also occupies some of that space, which makes it very easy to get to in order to clean it. Yes, sap will get warmer up there, but consider it a low-grade preheater. I never leave sap in the head tank after a boil. I make sure it is empty and brushed out before leaving for the night.

Ryan Mahar
04-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Where are you in VT. I would highly recommend you come and visit our shack if you would like. I visited many before we build ours and without physically seeing some set ups, it is hard to realize what you may need or NOT need. Spacing for steamaway, drawing off, smoke stack etc can be tricky............any time you'd like to see my set up you are welcomed....................

Sugarmaker
04-26-2016, 12:25 PM
I started the design with a common 24 x 16 evaporator room with 10 foot ceiling. 10 x 24 wood shed lean too on the left side.
head tanks were elevated 8 foot above in loft area behind the evaporator room. Area under the tanks became the kitchen. It has worked very well for our small operation.
Regards,
Chris