PDA

View Full Version : All different ways to use a finishing pan

Meuphrat
04-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Just got a leader 2x6 propane finishing pan.
Wondering how people have their finishing pans set up and how they run them.
Specifically.
What temp to draw off the evaporator and put in the finisher?
Thinking if we took off light syrup before it released niter might be able to keep front pan cleaner.

How much do you put in your finisher before you filter and can.

Is adding a 2x6 finishing pan equivalent to adding that much surface area to your evaporator?

Basically just wondering how everyone out there is using their finishing pans. I imagine everyone has a different set up. Just curious to hear about all the different ways they can be utilized.

jmayerl
04-17-2016, 11:11 PM
1. My finish pan is my front pan of the evaporater, finished syrup comes right off the draw valve.
2. I adjust the draw off temp every day and sometimes multiple times per day.
3.no
4. Mine is called a holding pan not a finisher. I dump syrup in until I have enough to to fill a drum or time to filter and bottle.
5.yes, if you have some sort of roaring fire underneath it.

YoungFamilyFarm
04-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Just got a leader 2x6 propane finishing pan.
Wondering how people have their finishing pans set up and how they run them.
Specifically.
What temp to draw off the evaporator and put in the finisher?
Thinking if we took off light syrup before it released niter might be able to keep front pan cleaner.

How much do you put in your finisher before you filter and can.

Is adding a 2x6 finishing pan equivalent to adding that much surface area to your evaporator?

Basically just wondering how everyone out there is using their finishing pans. I imagine everyone has a different set up. Just curious to hear about all the different ways they can be utilized.14233

Attached is a photo of a friend's set-up. They have been using finishers for three generations, and have tried different strategies. They are on a 6x16 with a pre-heater running raw sap. Evaporation rates around 385 gal/hr and draw "continuously" into the finisher. They throttle the flow out of the syrup pan between 212-215 most days, and fill the pan around 1" before starting the burners. At that point they essentially batch cook and draw 2-2.5 gallons every 15 minutes or so and dump straight into the filter press. As soon as the front two compartments are syrup, they shut down the burners and draw off. Then, wait for it to fill up again and repeat. A family friend was cooking there this year and ran the burners at lower flame for a longer time and managed to get a more continuous flow, but it was still batching (just longer draws, bigger batches). The finisher definitely serves as a buffer for inconsistent firing and smooths the process a bit. If the filter press needs cleaned and papers changed you can let syrup stack up a bit and give yourself extra time.

Meuphrat
04-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks Brian
That looks like an awesome set up!
Do you know if they see a significant reduction of niter build up on their front pan?
Thanks again.
-Mike

PerryFamily
04-18-2016, 09:07 PM
I only use my smaller 34x?? Finisher at canning time
Heat, adjust density if needed, run through press with a single plate into the canner for canning at 190 degrees

YoungFamilyFarm
04-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks Brian
That looks like an awesome set up!
Do you know if they see a significant reduction of niter build up on their front pan?
Thanks again.
-Mike

Absolutely. Not an expert, but it seems the most niter drops during the foaming/bubbling right before "syrup". The evaporator syrup pan goes a normal season without being touched, and the finishing pan gets soaked and scrubbed daily. The continuous flow is surely a help in keeping niter/sand moving (out of syrup pan). Many producers I've seen will run a flat filter tray before (on top of) the finishing pan. These guys did years ago, but if you clean it every run its probably a wasted effort.

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2016, 07:49 AM
We draw off from our evaporator (a 3' x 10' Leader Max backpan with Revolution frontpan and Steam-away boiling ~12 Brix concentrate) at close to the proper density using buckets and a Marcland autodraw unit. Syrup is then put into our finishing pan (~65 gal) until we have a full batch or are done for the day. We then standardize the density (boil a little or add water to adjust) in the finishing pan, add DE and run it through the filter press into a barrel. This doesn't prevent build-up of niter in the syrup pan. We don't get any build-up of niter in the finishing pan.

YoungFamilyFarm
04-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Dr Perkins, Is the process I described (actual cooking then finishing outside the evaporator) a common or uncommon practice in your experience? I have two producers within 5 miles of me that draw off "light" into the finisher and cook to density with their propane burners. I get the impression they like the control outside of the evaporator (both will never use auto draw-offs based on preference). I am always intrigued by everyone having a different approach, none being wrong or right (most of the time :) )

I attached a photos of 3 generations ago on the same farm, same sugar house using a finisher in the same manner. Something to be said for traditions. Great group of folks working hard and taking pride in their product and process. If you look closely at both photos you'll notice the same syrup ladle being used. Very cool stuff. I'm a big fan of family history and passing things down.

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Is the process I described (actual cooking then finishing outside the evaporator) a common or uncommon practice in your experience?

Most people who do use a finishing pan draw off only slightly light, and then bring to correct density in the finishing pan with very little boiling involved. The finishing pan is simply not as efficient to boil in than a regular evaporator. In this manner, you don't eliminate or reduce niter in the syrup pan much. If anything, I'd say the trend (at least in terms of bulk producers) is to NOT use a finishing pan, but to draw off into a small tank/container right next to the rig until they have some set amount (depending upon the size of the evaporator) and then standardize, add DE, and semi-continuously filter into a barrel from there. Removes some steps that way.

maple flats
04-19-2016, 04:10 PM
I draw off at very close to finished syrup, sometimes a tad light, others a tad heavy. I prefer ending up very slightly heavy because it is faster to add permeate than to boil more to get it right. I usually process at least a barrel, sometimes 2 at a batch. I have 16, 26.5, 30 and 40 gal. SS barrels. At some point I will be down to 16 and 26.5 gal. barrels, I don't like repacking more than that into retail at a time in one grade and I sell all except some Very Dark and any commercial at retail. I sell out most years.