PDA

View Full Version : Best way to eliminate niter. 50 taps next year. filter press? steam bottler?

Snow Blind
04-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Had 45 taps this year and have the evap. process down but finishing is a brutal affair. What I have in my took box is a cone filter but it clogs up VERY fast and filtering even 2 gallons of syrup is a near nightmare. So...if I was to invest some $$ for next year what would be the go-to piece of equipment to get the clarity that everyone expects? If I get this step dialed in I can increase the tap count next year. But if not then I will be limited to what I did this year. Go ahead and chime in with your thoughts.

Sugarmaker's dad
04-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Filter press!

highlandcattle
04-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Start checking dealers for their early discounts or pick up a used filter press. Its worth it.

325abn
04-17-2016, 01:12 PM
With 45 taps you won't make enough syrup to even warm up a filter press. Are you using paper pre filters? If not there is your answer.

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Maple guys have a small hand pump filter press for $500 ish. If using glass I would only use a press.
http://www.mapleguys.com/product/MJFP.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow Blind
04-17-2016, 03:02 PM
With 45 taps you won't make enough syrup to even warm up a filter press. Are you using paper pre filters? If not there is your answer.
Using Orlon pre-filter inside of the Orlon bag. So, what would the break-over point be before you would suggest going to a press? Gallons of syrup per run?
And thanks everybody for the feedback.

maple flats
04-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Personally I'd think 300 tap minimum to justify an electric filter press, maybe 150 for a hand pump filter press.
However, there is a cheap option. Several large producers do not use a press, they use flat filters and even some use cone filters, pre filters and filter aid. Filter aid (FA) is food grade diatomaceous Earth. Do not use swimming pool DE. When you are ready to filter, get the syrup up to 200-210 degrees, mix in 1.5 cups of FA for the first gallon and add 1/2 cup for every gallon after that. mix it into the HOT syrup, then pour the mix into the filters. The syrup will come thru crystal clear and the FA will form a filter cake on the filter surface. Make a way to keep the syrup hot while filtering. With the FA in the mix , the syrup is filtered by the FA cake that forms, but now, rather than plug up the surface of the filter, the FA builds up as a cake so that the niter won't fill the surface pores and plug. This will make filtering much faster. The big issue will be getting the FA. Most times it is only sold in 40 or 50# bags which at even 200 taps would last 10-20 years most likely. I see 2 ways to get it, buy some from a local producer who has a filter press, or try our sponsor, they likely still sell 5 or 10# bags. There might be others too who sell a small bag of FA.
Using FA the syrup will come clean in far less time and you will go thru fewer pre-filters by far. A work of caution, when you wash a syrup filter NEVER wring it dry, just squeeze it and then hang it to dry, wringing it breaks the fibers and renders the filter useless.

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Do you want crystal clear syrup or do you want to bottle in plastic? That's what I had to choose this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

325abn
04-17-2016, 05:08 PM
I never thought of using FA without a press. I will try it next year with my flat filters.

So do you not use paper pre-filters when using FA?

mudr
04-17-2016, 05:18 PM
I've read references to the DE flat filter method. Now, as I understand it, the DE does the actual filtering in a press, not the paper. I assume that holds true for using DE in a flat filter? If so, do you need multiple prefilters to remove? I assume that defeats the purpose. And finally, could you just do a single pre filter, not an orlon filter, since the DE will filter the niter.

wiam
04-17-2016, 05:38 PM
I've read references to the DE flat filter method. Now, as I understand it, the DE does the actual filtering in a press, not the paper. I assume that holds true for using DE in a flat filter? If so, do you need multiple prefilters to remove? I assume that defeats the purpose. And finally, could you just do a single pre filter, not an orlon filter, since the DE will filter the niter.

I will start by saying I have never used DE without a press. I would think you need the orlon. The first syrup that comes out of a press goes back in the mixed DE container because the first to come out is not clear.

Galena
04-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Honestly I don't think anyone has a way to eliminate or prevent nitre completely. Some bushes are just full of it - last season I took on a second bush and never had so much nitre in my life, while my own trees never produced anything like that amount!

I've read of people stacking multiple pre-filters and removing them as they get clogged before they go through the final filter, I think I've heard of up to 5 pre-filters (Orlon, I think) then 1 final filter (usually the felt). So probably just a few dozen or so pre-filters would be your best bet!!

Then there is a somewhat extreme option at the opposite end of the spectrum: NO FILTERS. That's right. Just get that syrup into nice big glass containers, and then let it sit overnight. In the morning you will have a nitre mountain at the bottom of the jar/bottle, and lots of nice clear syrup above it. CAREFULLY pour off the beautiful clear syrup til you see that telltale thread of cloudiness seeping into the stream - then stop. I went so far as to go and get a huge plastic 100ml syringe from the co-op and use it to syringe off the remaining clear syrup, once the nitre settled out again. What's left? Either dumpout that last little bit of syrup and nitre, or do as I do, and dump it into a jar dedicated to such salvaged syrup, and work with it when the season's over.

maple flats
04-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Look for the posts by Mountainvan, I think he is a large producer who uses the FA with flat filters.

Urban Sugarmaker
04-17-2016, 07:35 PM
I have used the flat filtering method with filter aid the last two seasons, and it indeed makes a difference. I bought a 5 lb. bag from the Maple Guys. As long as I don't overheat the syrup after filtering, but before bottling, the syrup is very clear. It may not be as good as a filter press, but it's pretty darn good.

325abn
04-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Can you describe how you use it? Do you still use the synthetic flat filters with paper pre filters?

mellondome
04-18-2016, 03:10 AM
Find a close by sugarmaker that will let you bring over your syrup at the end of season and run through their filter press.

jpcole
04-18-2016, 04:55 AM
They call them a good friend. Whats really nice is they wont take syr
Find a close by sugarmaker that will let you bring over your syrup at the end of season and run through their filter press.up for payment because they have their own.:lol: Its worked so far.

mrnorthshore
04-18-2016, 07:30 AM
HI Snow Blind, Not sure if you make it up to the north shore of Minnesota but we have a 2100 tap farm in Finland ( silver bay area) we have bags of DE I could get you a gallon or so.

Paul

Big_Eddy
04-18-2016, 07:58 AM
For 50-250 taps, I recommend a minimal investment in a filter tank, and good filtering technique using cone filters. You will be pleasantly surprised with both the clarity of the syrup and the ease of filtering and bottling. The CDL 5 gal mini filter tank is listed at $265 CDN. I'm sure the other vendors have similar in the same price range.

I fiddled and cursed with filtering for years before my wife bought me one. It's by far the best maple investment we (she) ever made for a small producer.

There are a few secrets to successful filtering with the cone filter.

Preheat and moisten the filter. I place mine over a kettle and run it for about 5 mins while the syrup is coming up to temperature.
Use several nested pre-filters inside the orlon.
Filter hot - almost boiling.
Keep the filter hot. (Hence the filter canner) Put the lid on.
Filter enough syrup at once to make it worthwhile. More that 10l is best.

The Don'ts for cone filters

Don't let the outside of the orlon be exposed to cold air. Fastest way ever to stop the syrup flowing through
Don't ever filter syrup without a pre-filter inside. The pre-filter captures the majority of the dirt and nitre. The orlon does the final polishing. Skip the pre-filter and the nitre plugs the orlon up quickly.
Don't ever use any soap of any kind washing your filter. Or fabric softener :rolleyes:
Don't wring it out, stir it, try to force the last of the syrup through.

You have to accept the fact that the Orlon will steal some of your syrup. It's the price you pay for clear syrup. You can minimize the impact by storing up your batches and filtering more syrup at once, and you can recover some of the absorbed syrup by rinsing the used filter in your boiling sap pan after use.

Snow Blind
04-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice. If anybody has a different idea please chime in. I know I am not the only one with this frustration.

DrTimPerkins
04-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Eliminating niter is not possible. You're basically left trying to find a way to effectively (but perhaps not easily) dealing with it.

Preheat and moisten the filter. I place mine over a kettle and run it for about 5 mins while the syrup is coming up to temperature.

To that list I'd add:
- make sure your filters are clean and very dry when you store them
- store them in a place they won't pick up any odors (not in a cedar chest or chicken coop)
- when you open them up to use, put your nose up to the filter and smell it. If there is ANY sign of mustiness, then toss it out. We get calls every year from people who've had filters go bad between seasons and ruined their first batches of syrup until they figure out it is coming from the filters.

You have to accept the fact that the Orlon will steal some of your syrup. It's the price you pay for clear syrup.

Many people will either rinse the filters in sap, or even put them in or above their pans to rinse or steam out the sugar. You needn't lose much to filtering if you do this.

MikeV
04-18-2016, 07:22 PM
For 50-250 taps, I recommend a minimal investment in a filter tank, and good filtering technique using cone filters. You will be pleasantly surprised with both the clarity of the syrup and the ease of filtering and bottling. The CDL 5 gal mini filter tank is listed at $265 CDN. I'm sure the other vendors have similar in the same price range.

I fiddled and cursed with filtering for years before my wife bought me one. It's by far the best maple investment we (she) ever made for a small producer.

There are a few secrets to successful filtering with the cone filter.

The Don'ts for cone filters

Don't let the outside of the orlon be exposed to cold air. Fastest way ever to stop the syrup flowing through
Don't ever filter syrup without a pre-filter inside. The pre-filter captures the majority of the dirt and nitre. The orlon does the final polishing. Skip the pre-filter and the nitre plugs the orlon up quickly.
Don't ever use any soap of any kind washing your filter. Or fabric softener :rolleyes:
Don't wring it out, stir it, try to force the last of the syrup through.

You have to accept the fact that the Orlon will steal some of your syrup. It's the price you pay for clear syrup. You can minimize the impact by storing up your batches and filtering more syrup at once, and you can recover some of the absorbed syrup by rinsing the used filter in your boiling sap pan after use.

X2 - Exactly what I do.

Also bought a filter tank and made filtering/bottling actually enjoyable - used to hate doing that part of the process!

sinker
04-20-2016, 10:49 AM
I started using a bucket filter this year, with 3 pre filters, and filtering my syrup at 90 degrees Celcius. Once the first pre filter clogs, I slowly pull it out without spilling the nitre in it, into the next prefilter, and repeat until it all gets through the bucket filter. No nitre in the bottles any more. Works really good for me with small batches. I have 45 taps, so very similar set up as you. I'm usually finishing anywhere from 3-6litres of syrup at a time.

S.

smokeyamber
04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
I tap around 65 trees, and have had challenges like you filtering, I have arrived at a pretty good process for filtering 2gallons at a time. I finish on propane and the hot syrup goes immediatlely into a large pot using flat filters. The key for niter and gunk in general is using sythetic pre-filters. I use up to 6 when I finish. You clip the thick filter ( flat synthetic ) to the pot with clothespins setting it up in a shallow cone shape. then stack the prefilters on top. Pour the full 2 gallons on top and it will flow up to a point and then stop, then simply pull the top prefilter, the flow will start again... repeat until you get to the last prefilter and then cover and let sit. I find at most a less than a pint will not filter. You can wash out the prefilters easily with hot water ( I use the sprayer on the sink ). On the thick filter I will wash out and sometimes pour boiling water throught as well. I started this year freezing my filters between runs, this worked great ! You just bring them out to the shack and drape over the pan to thaw and you have a nice preheated wet filter, which really helped with filtering. I have also started replacing the thick synthetic filter every year to prevent any off taste from the filter.

Overall filtering is a process that is time consuming, but with care it ensures beautiful clear syrup. One final option is to not filter and let it settle and decant. I have not done this except for when a filter fails and I decide not to re-boil, that syrup was for immediate consumption and after settling looks nice and clear.

Have fun and enjoy the sweet !