PDA

View Full Version : Maple Weekend

backyardsugarer
03-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Slow day so far (Saturday). I guess a foot of snow and cold will keep people away. At least I am boiling, have the NCAA games coming on and keeping the beer cold today is not a problem. Good luck to everyone else trying to sell some syrup this weekend.

Chris

mountainvan
03-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Did you get more people today and sell lots of syrup? For your first year were you satisfied with the promotion that the association did? Just wondering how it went for other producers.

syrupmaker
03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Went over the hill to Mapleking's shack and helped out with the crowds of folks. Laughed alot and talked maple all day long. Had a few brews and sampled some blueberry wine. Good stuff. Steady flow all day, Sunday definately better than Saturday. We will see how things work out for next weekend hopefully with warmer weather.

Rick

backyardsugarer
03-19-2007, 01:12 PM
This is my third year and we sold about 1/3 the amount of syrup we usually do (not worth the effort). I am considering not doing it again. For the money you pay to the assoc. it is only worth it if the weather cooperates. In addition having it 2 weekends thins out the crowds even further. Looks like the season is in trouble before it even starts. No freezing night time temps in the 15 day forecast past tomorrow.

maplehound
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't totally understand this Maple weekend in NY. You pay the association to be a part of it? What keeps you from opening your sugarohouse on your own on the same weekends? What kind of promotion do they do for your individual sugarhouse?

backyardsugarer
03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
They have an internet site that directs people to your place and they do promote it in the local papers. You could open up on your own but I doubt you would get much traffic without the ads they post.

mcmp
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Do your own marketing/promotions, start your own internet site its not costly these days if you register your domain name with the right
company. You DONT need any association and fees, dues or whatever. That money is better in your own pocket.

Paul

maple flats
03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
My maple weekend was our first time. We were slower than expected. Sta was slowest with slippery roads and overnight snow but Sunday was a little better. Still did not do enough business to pay for the ads. Next weekend looks better for us. We expect good sap flow tu, wed, thurs and slower Fri. Likely none Sat and Sun. This past one I had to boil water and just can syrup from bulk. Did sell a fair amount of molded sugar, maple coated nuts, maple popcorn and syrup for what traffic we had, just not enough traffic. I will try at least a couple more seasons before I decide to continue.