PDA

View Full Version : Yellow bellied sap sucker holes

Mvhomesteader
04-13-2016, 06:58 PM
I've noticed a bunch of BB type holes in some maples that I am sure are caused by a sap sucker-seen one at the bird feeder. The holes only go through the bark and barely into wood, but they weep sap. What I am wondering is do these holes cause damage to the tree like a tap hole, and therefore I need to steer clear of them when I tap next spring? Or are they of no concern? Has anyone had some experience with these? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Russell Lampron
04-13-2016, 07:53 PM
If the tree was girdled it will more than likely die at the injury and above. Tap it while you still can or cut it down for firewood before it rots.

heus
04-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Ive had those evil little things girdle and kill a red maple about 8" in diameter. Right now I have several sugar maples bleeding from these little "suckers."

Mvhomesteader
04-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Should I assume a 6" set of holes on a 30" diameter tree would be no issue? Can you still tap where the "holes" are? The tree is by no means girdled.

heus
04-13-2016, 09:59 PM
It will be fine.

Russell Lampron
04-14-2016, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't tap where the holes are but any good wood on either side will be fine.

Mvhomesteader
04-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the input. Since this is a bigger tree, I might try an experiment with two taps-one where the sap sucker made some dimples and a more "reliable" one a safe distance away.