PDA

View Full Version : How productive are old very large roadside sugar maples?

claystroup
04-13-2016, 08:38 AM
There is a large farm less than 2 miles from my house that has approx. 50 very large old sugar maples along the edge of their field/township dirt road that easily would qualify for 3 taps a piece. They all look healthy and are easily accessible. Some are over 3' in diameter. All have nice large crowns and aren't crowding each other. Are older trees such as these productive from a sap potential? If so, what would a fair price be per tap to lease these trees per tap? Thanks, Clay Stroup

maple flats
04-13-2016, 09:01 AM
They are among the best you can get. Per tap price will depend on the local competition for taps, it could range any where from $.50-$1.50 per tap. How badly do you want them? Those trees with big crowns often give 3% and up to 4.5% sugar. At 3.5% it means you would get a gal of syrup from just under 25 gal of sap.

Jeff E
04-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Agree with Maple Flats, best trees there are. Fence line, roadside, pasture trees are high sugar trees. Big Crowns = Big Sugar.

Cedar Eater
04-13-2016, 09:27 AM
I've heard you can get over a gallon of syrup per tree from trees like that. That would be worth something. Maybe you could pay the owners in syrup.

claystroup
04-13-2016, 09:28 AM
No local competition that I know of. 2 miles from my house on a country dirt road with very little traffic. Basically pull my pickup up and walk 10-15' to each tree through a very shallow ditch. Way easier than my brothers woods with tons of underbrush to navigate through. I was actually thinking around $1.00 to $2.00 per tap or a combination money and syrup but would need to negotiate with the farmer (whom I have known for a long time). Besides higher sugar content, do taps on trees like that put out more volume of sap than a tree in the woods? Thanks, Clay

Cody
04-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Yes they do,we tapped a pasture about 5 years ago them big old maples would give 3-6 gallons a day.Suger content started out about 4.5 then gradually went down from there,I would grab them if you can.They will spoil you from woodland trees.

michiganphil
04-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Tap 'em!

I get about 1/2 gal per tap syrup yield on roadside trees with buckets. On buckets they can still out produce some vac systems in a woodlot. Early season, when it's colder, they take a little longer to wake up (more wood to thaw out) but once they start going they flow longer. Some of my biggest trees will flow for 3 or 4 days without a freeze.

Bucket Head
04-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Roadside, front yards, fenceline, etc. is all we tap. Sugar content is always up there compared to woods trees. I agree with Cody- they will spoil you!