PDA

View Full Version : Batch method

Harken
03-17-2007, 09:21 AM
With my 2'x4' pan I figure that I will need 5 gal. (1") of syrup to be able to finish it in the pan. I only have 40 taps, so I will probably need 4-5 runs to get enough sap.
If I boil each run down to 5 gal of "concentrate", what is the best method to continue boiling - add new sap to the existing batch, or start each batch separately then combine the concentrated sap when I have enough ?

P.S. In case you can't tell, this is my 1st attempt at making syrup !!

Ken

danno
03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
When I was doing 20-40 taps I used to take each small batch cooked outside and finish it to syrup in a smaller pan (turkey fryer size) on the stove top inside.

I don't know your bottleing method, but filtering 5-10 gallons of syrup at once through a cone filter takes a long time and you will be changing pre-filters often.

If you are going to finish the syrup outside, I would do it in separate batches until you have enough to combine to bring down to syrup. Less sap in the pan cooks down much faster than large batches. Also, in terms of combining syrup outside, each time you add more sap to the first batch you will be darkening your syrup.

twigbender
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd take danno's advice on this one. It's the way I have done it in the past when we were running 85-90 taps. Try to avoid cooking the sap and concentrate for any longer than possible, which means it is best to get the sap down to concentrate and save up a few batches to finish all in one fell swoop. Works for me!