PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Maple Man 85
04-12-2016, 08:14 PM
What types of insurance do producers that sell on site have to have in order to be covered from a liability perspective? Obviously building and equipment but if there were a customer that slips and gets hurt or any type of product mishap what type of insurance would cover these instances?

Maple Man 85

n8hutch
04-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Your going to want to consider product liability for your syrup and a commercial insurance policy for your buildings and liability for your buildings & grounds.

Oncellular you start selling your homeowners insurance is no longer required to cover you.

If your not selling retail you might be able to get away with just product liability and an incidental Farming endorsement.

I have product liability, a commercial liability policy and 75,000 of coverage for my equipment & building. Runs me about 900$ a year.

SeanD
04-12-2016, 09:54 PM
I use Farm Family and they have a package that covers the whole operation - buildings, equipment, and everything you need from slip and fall to product liability. If you plan to sell at a farmers market at any point, they will require that.

Their rates were better than my original home policy, so I bundled the whole thing together.

Sean

Michael Greer
04-13-2016, 06:52 AM
In general, money spent on insurance just goes away. Not only does it leave your pocket, it leaves your local economy, probably even your state. If you feel you must spend, do so carefully and frugally...the folks you send your insurance money to live a LOT better than you do.

n8hutch
04-13-2016, 06:59 AM
In general, money spent on insurance just goes away. Not only does it leave your pocket, it leaves your local economy, probably even your state. If you feel you must spend, do so carefully and frugally...the folks you send your insurance money to live a LOT better than you do.

This is True. But when you loose everything you have to a fire the people with insurance are generally better off than the people w/o.

DaveB
04-13-2016, 07:26 AM
I use Farm Family and they have a package that covers the whole operation - buildings, equipment, and everything you need from slip and fall to product liability. If you plan to sell at a farmers market at any point, they will require that.

Their rates were better than my original home policy, so I bundled the whole thing together.

Sean

I second Farm Family...I've had nothing but good experiences with them and it's nice talking with an agent that understands your business.

You could say that about almost anything unless it's made from 100% locally sourced materials. Insurance is just that - insurance in case something bad happens. It's more like a bet. If you don't have it you are betting that nothing will happen and if it does, you risk losing everything. If you do have it, that risk goes away.

SeanD
04-13-2016, 03:57 PM
You could say that about almost anything unless it's made from 100% locally sourced materials. Insurance is just that - insurance in case something bad happens. It's more like a bet. If you don't have it you are betting that nothing will happen and if it does, you risk losing everything. If you do have it, that risk goes away.

Ditto. If you were to pay $1,000 per year in premiums for your sugaring operation and in your 25th year, you lost everything to a fire - or worse a lawsuit where an old lady fell on your property, do you think the insurance company payout would be less than the $25,000 you've put in? If so, don't buy insurance.

Sean

Maple Man 85
04-13-2016, 06:00 PM
This is True. But when you loose everything you have to a fire the people with insurance are generally better off than the people w/o.

Our neighbors had this happen two years ago and they had to rebuild sugarhouse with all the equipment up in smoke.