PDA

View Full Version : Sugar shack size?

Mitchhorne8
04-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking to put up a building for a 2x6 evaporator next season. My question is, what is the ideal size..... Or minimum size as not to get too cramped or over heated. Keeping in mind that normally have 2 or 3 visitors. I currently have a building that is 8Wx12L but I know that is too small...i think

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Mine with a 2X6 is 12X16. That is the min that I would want. I'm planning to add on this year because it's getting tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lastwoodsman
04-12-2016, 07:06 PM
I have a 12 x 16--way too small, in four years , At least 20 x 20 or bigger. I am adding on a 8 x 12 bottling room to elevate some crowding. You cannot build to big.

Good luck--
Woodsman

stoweski
04-12-2016, 07:08 PM
I have a 14'x20' with a 14'x12' extension for wood storage. I like the size. If I had to do it again I'd make it wider.

Not sure what you want to use for flooring but if you go with concrete, don't forget a drain.

Also, if you use metal for your roof, put plywood on first to lessen the dripping from condensation.

Ghs57
04-12-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm at 12x14, not counting the woodshed, which is proving to be small. While boiling, I found myself planning an addiction. I'd have to say 16x20 sounds pretty good, but we all know bigger is better. It's cheaper to right size it the first time then adding on latter.

Michael Greer
04-12-2016, 07:57 PM
I worked in a sugarhouse that was 12ft. wide, and we were always bumping into one another. I built mine 14ft. and I'm very pleased with it. If you ever foresee a bigger evaporator, leave a little more room. I really like having a three foot aisle between the evaporator and the counter. I can turn and reach without needing to step. If two people are working together the aisles need to be 4ft.

motowbrowne
04-12-2016, 08:21 PM
As per the North American Maple Syrup Producer's Manual (at least I think that's where I read it) build it twice as big as you think you need it. That way you'll only have to add on once. I think this is solid advice. I thought I'd be fine cooking sap on my 2x10 evaporator indefinitely. I was wrong.

MISugarDaddy
04-13-2016, 04:52 AM
We moved up to a 2'X6' this year in a 16'X24' sugarhouse and I wouldn't want it any smaller. Our storage and RO are in a adjacent building and it still is tight with the canner, filter press, sink, etc. Check out the pictures in the link in my signature and you will see that there isn't a lot of unused space. When visitors come over my wife and I are frequently asking them to move so we can fire the evaporator, draw off syrup, etc.
Gary

n8hutch
04-13-2016, 06:03 AM
I have a 30"x10' arch and I am planning on building a 20x36 sugar house this year. Going to be 8'x20 for wood storage, 12x16 evaporator area, 8x16 RO/ kitchen area, and a 12x20 sap storage/vaccum pump area. That is if I can stretch my money far enough.

maple flats
04-13-2016, 09:16 AM
I got a 2x6 when I built my 16x24 sugarhouse. It didn't take long before I "needed" a 3x8. Now I wish I 'd built a 24x36 or larger. What with an RO room, some work counters, a filter press, a 16 x 24 canner, a 2x6 finisher, a sink, a micro wave and 2 electric chest coolers to keep syrup cold, a rolling pan rack that I use for bottling onto, a wood rack and a draw off tank. I am crowded. I never realized how many extras I'd end up with.
I think sugar houses are like a garage, barn or workshop. Decide what size you think you will need, then double it, and in the end you will have half enough.

seandicare
04-13-2016, 04:28 PM
I am building a "shack" this summer as well.....for me funds are extremely limited right now, so only building a 8x8 or 8x10 pole shed to cover the evaporator (homemade totals about 4 wide x 5 long)....I finish boil inside the house, so won't have a LOT of stuff for that needed outside. also thinking a 4x4 insulated room for a RO.

but later when I do expand I am thinking of just using this shed as an addition to the new building to house a RO or finishing/bottling stuff

also, depending on what kind of equipment you will have, pumps, blowers, lights etc, you will want to think about how you will get electricity out there.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-13-2016, 07:19 PM
We had a business plan started with a 2.5x10 evap, ro room, etc and figured at least 24x24 minimum. Sometimes it comes down to what you can afford to get started. Grade the site and build the shack with the idea that you may need to expand some day and save yourself some grief down the road.....

TedA
04-23-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm a hobby sized operation (2x4 Smoky Lake hybrid pan) and have no plans to go commercial. Last summer, we built an 18x24 sugar house. However, with 12 inch cordwood walls, the inside dimensions are approx. 16x22. That is a good size for our setup. I wouldn't go smaller. With frequent guests ad occasional tours, the room gets filled up quickly. 14260

gmc8757
04-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Beautify sugar house Ted. Can you share any inside pics? What is the exterior walls made up of above the block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedA
04-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Above the cement blocks is eastern white cedar (from the UP of Mich.) set in mortar so the ends face out (and in). If you look close at the front, you will notice that I have placed colored wine bottles (or gin, or whisky, brandy, etc.) in the wall. On the outside the colored bottles adds interest and some color. On the inside, it gives sort of a stained glass look. Attached are a few pictures. 142611426214263