PDA

View Full Version : startup after 9 days of cold

islandviewpeter
04-12-2016, 08:37 AM
We have had 9 days of no sap flow and cold weather and snow. Looking like we can start boiling again tonight. The sap/sweet in my flue pan is looking cloudy. I can still see the flues down through it. It's a 2x8 raised flue unit. Should I drain the flue pan and re-start or just run it through. Temperature in the sugarhouse has stayed at about 2-3 degrees celsius for the duration. Have washed and rinsed all the other tanks etc in the break. Btw I tasted it and it was still sweet could not really identify any off flavour. Close up in syrup pans seems ok.

Thanks for any advice, looks like a good run coming in the next few days.

unc23win
04-12-2016, 09:44 AM
We have had stretches like that before and as long as nothing smells or tastes bad I would fire it and go sounds like it has been plenty cold. Might be quite dark at first, but most likely will lighten up once the fresh sap starts going through.

maple flats
04-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Just start boiling. As long as the temp was too cold and not too hot, you are fine. I've had stretches longer than that and it made good syrup when the sap started up again.

treehugger
04-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I will drain and filter the sweet in the pans then pour back in. It definitely helps keeping things clean and will have less sediment.