PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning burned spots

SapSuckers
03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I am getting ready to use "new to me" used syrup pan I purchased sight unseen from bascoms. I was told on the phone that the bottom was warped, but was not told about some black burned spots on the inside of the pan. I cleaned the dirt and gunt out of the pan with some elbow grese, but was wondering...............

any tricks to the burned spots? can i use a wire brush, maybe on a drill?

also, how about a pressure washer to give it a good cleaning in the tight spots like the ball valves and cornors?

I was told that the burned spots wont hurt anything and to just boil as is but i would really like to get rid of them. It is about 2 spots maybe 4"x4" right infront of each draw off box.

thanks,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Wire brush on a drill will work good and fast.

Russell Lampron
03-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Chris,

You can use the pan cleaning acid that the maple suppliers sell. It will clean off the black spots without scratching the pan. The black spots should be removed because they will be hot spots that will make the syrup burn there.

Russ

ibby458
03-17-2007, 05:41 AM
We've had good luck with a steel wool pad on the mouse sander, using vinegar to help soften it.

paul
03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
sapsucker
don`t use anything but stainless steel on your pan, or a scrub pad.fill the pan with water ,boil for a little while and let it cool. then use a stainless steel pad to clean the burnt spot. you can get those pads at a restaurant supply store. this works I know first hand.