PDA

View Full Version : Sap collecting pump

Ptim
04-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Any opinions on sap transfer pumps for collecting... Anyone use a pto type. Or is gas better?

psparr
04-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Get a Honda wx10 or 20 you won't regret it.

UPMaple
04-08-2016, 07:35 AM
We are using a Wayne electric 1hp Stainless Steel Lawn Sprinkling Pump plugged into a 3500 watt generator with very good results.
Pumping sap up a 40 foot hill over 200 feet no problem.

Sugarmaker
04-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Any opinions on sap transfer pumps for collecting... Anyone use a pto type. Or is gas better?

How much sap are you pumping? How far? How High? how fast do you want to move it? We pump over 6,000 gallons of sap during the season with two Rule 12 volt pumps. You need to size the pump for your operation.
Regards,
Chris

SeanD
04-08-2016, 03:47 PM
I can vouch for that Wayne pump and the Rule 12v pump that Chris mentioned, too. I use the Wayne at the sugar house and the Rule off the truck (thanks to Chris' advice shared here!)

Sean

Ptim
04-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks. Yeah it will be for collecting off from 200 3/16 gravity lines going into totes. Pumping from there into a tote on a trailer to haul back to sugar shack

Ptim
04-08-2016, 04:30 PM
What model of rule pump do you guys run?

SeanD
04-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I have the Model 10 2,000 GPH. I'm very happy with it. It's strong, durable and very quiet which was a consideration for me when I'm on other people's property.

My only regret is that I didn't get the next size up, the 14A 3,700 GPH. I'm only emptying 55 gal drums, but I'm pumping up and into a cage tank on the top of my truck and the GPH loss over the distance and height is noticeable. When I did the math, on the GPH I thought it would be overkill to get the 14A, but those numbers they give are theoretical. In reality, it's less.

Now, compared to hauling buckets, it's like magic, but I'm jaded now and I wish it could empty a 55 gal barrel faster. I've never timed it, if you can believe it, but I'm pretty sure it's over 5 min. I think it depends on the weather. If it's sleeting and the wind is howling, it seems slower.

Sean

Bucket Head
04-08-2016, 11:48 PM
I use a Rule pump to send sap from my dumping station on the back of the truck up to the tank in the truck. I also took the recommendation from Chris on them way back when. I have either the 3700 or 3800, 12volt one and have used for years without an issue. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Steve

Super Sapper
04-09-2016, 06:09 AM
I have been using the Seaflo 3700 pumps for the last couple years and have had no issues. They are about 1/2 the cost of the Rule pumps. I run 2 at a time to cut the time down.

Wolfcreek Maple
04-09-2016, 08:47 AM
We use gas powered pumps,our pump of choice is pacific hydrostar(harbor freight).It was half cost of Honda wx10 which we have also but the pacific hydro star is quiter uses less gas n pumps faster than the Honda. We have used it for three years now zero issues but we always use non ethanol gas. I know everyone thinks harbor freight is crap as a lot stuff there is but this pump is a real gem.

CharlieR
04-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I have a WX10 and love it. Pretty quite for gas and really portable. I got it used and it was more than I wanted to spend but I'm glad I have it now!

lpakiz
04-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Will those 12 volt pumps run off the tail light circuit, or do they draw too much juice and blow fuses?

jmayerl
04-09-2016, 01:17 PM
I have the 1" harbor freight this year and pump 45' up and 500' over to the road and it pumps out a tote in about 15 mins, works well.

SeanD
04-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Will those 12 volt pumps run off the tail light circuit, or do they draw too much juice and blow fuses?

I run it off an outlet at the back of the truck that is wired directly to the battery.

Sean

Super Sapper
04-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Mine call for a 20 amp fuse so you would need to run separate wire.

Michael Greer
04-10-2016, 11:49 AM
I visited an old-time sugarhouse some years ago that had only recently graduated from horses to a tractor. The entire operation worked without electricity, and before the tractor, without engines of any sort. The whole place lay on a sloping site with enough of a rise in back to allow the gathering tank to fill the holding tanks using only gravity, and the holding tanks to feed the head tank with only the opening of a valve. If you've got the right sort of terrain, gravity is awesome...it never stops working, never burns out, never blows the fuse.
My own site is just about flat, meaning I have to pump up to the head tank, and convenient as that little electric pump is, it's just one more thing to worry about, and one more thing to break down at the wrong time.

Bucket Head
04-10-2016, 08:09 PM
I ran a separate wire, from the battery with an inline fuse holder to the rear of my truck for my Rule pump. I figured it was better to have the pump fail by itself instead of failing and taking the lights with it.

Daveg
04-11-2016, 07:34 PM
I have a hydrostar, also. 79cc. 35gpm. It starts on the second pull, every time. It is loud. You open a 3/4" thumb-screw cap on top of the pump to prime it. If you forget to drain the gas, remove the brass bowl and check the plastic float for freedom of movement, give it a shot of solvent, dab dry, and you'll be good to go. Lot's of info on the Harbor Freight-Pacific Hydrostar site. $159 as of today's sale.