PDA

View Full Version : Taste off (as in competision), need advice

bxm
04-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice on running a taste off competision. There are some hobby producers at my job and 3 of us decided to have a friendly competition. After the winner is declared we will all make a basket for the March of Dimes charity which will get auctioned off. Oh and we will make a whole video production of the competision. Should be lots of fun and for a good cause.

Anyways what I need some help with is what instruction to give our judge (who will likely be an exec) on what to...well judge. Should it be solely taste? Any other factors? Someone here must have done something similar so any advice would be appreciated.

We all agreed to put up the same grade of syrup (darker stuff)

Thanks!

wurmdert
04-07-2016, 04:13 PM
check this out http://www.mainemapleproducers.com/Maple%20Mania%202015/2015%20Mania%20contest.docx

ryebrye
04-07-2016, 07:03 PM
You should get your execs to fly Henry Marckres down for the judging. That guy is a legend.

bxm
04-07-2016, 07:29 PM
i will pitch that.
Also I don't think we will run this like an official competition. No one will be whipping out their hydrometer or their Hanna.
Imagine that someone with zero industry knowledge is judging a competition in which the prize is bragging rights. I'm just looking for a way to make it semi official but also enjoyable.

psparr
04-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Mail some REALLY big samples to me. I'll judge for ya.