PDA

View Full Version : are these pans tin or stainless?

stckydominance
04-07-2016, 07:15 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a set of pans for a 2x6 arch. I'm told they are SS, and lead free soldered. By the pictures provided I'm having a hard time telling if the back 2x4 flue pan is tin or SS. The front pan looks SS to me but I know that a lot of these sets can be mixed and matched. I'd really like to get a good sense of what I'm looking at before I drive all the way up to check them out in person. The thing that bothers me is the tarnishing on the 2x4 pan. Is that normal for SS? I wouldn't think that stainless would dull like that. It looks like the pans are stainless but I dont to have to deal with old english tin.

n8hutch
04-07-2016, 07:33 AM
It is really hard to tell if that back pan is stainless. But I think it looks more likely to be stainless than tin. The tin pans take on a lighter almost a rusty beige color after time. I think that would have to be a really clean tin pan if it is tin.
Will the seller send you more pics?

Often people had a Tin flue pan and stainless syrup pan so that is something to consider.

Paddymountain
04-07-2016, 07:41 AM
put a magnet on the back pan, SS is not magnetic

stckydominance
04-07-2016, 07:53 AM
will english tin be magnetic enough to tell with that test? I know that SS is generally not magnetic but tin I was unaware

DrTimPerkins
04-07-2016, 08:02 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a set of pans for a 2x6 arch.

If you're not sure, you can always put in a contingent offer for inspection for when you go to pick it up. I'd bring along lead-check test kits (available at the hardware store) and check the solder in each pan to be sure. Impossible to tell otherwise unless the pans have a marking plate with a date that is post-1994.

stckydominance
04-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Im planning on bringing a lead test with me. Were all tin pans made with lead solder back in the day? My current setup is SS with lead free solder but I've heard of older SS equipment that also contained lead solder.

wiam
04-07-2016, 09:41 AM
I believe any tin pans would have lead solder. I would not buy any tin pan regardless of solder. Or any pan with lead solder. That back pan looks like it has a label. I would ask for a better picture of he label. Might have manufacture date.