PDA

View Full Version : Oil convertion

Chmaple
04-07-2016, 06:48 AM
Im thinking of changing over from wood to oil and have a few questions. I see people say to use a carlin 701 burner with the low high option why? And what would be the same burner from beckett oil burners? I have looked at same of the figures for my 3x10 d&g rig with lighting pans and it should be 6 gph burner from what i can tell. Im running a 14" stack do you need to change the smoke stack size when going to oil?

bill m
04-07-2016, 07:14 AM
My 3x10 grimm has a Carlin 601 firing at 6.5 gph and a 10 inch stack. I think a 701 may be to big but a call to D&G would tell you. Maybe finding an oil fired arch and selling your wood fired may be cheaper.

wiam
04-07-2016, 07:42 AM
There is a lot of information here.
https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/leader-insulated-oil-arch.pdf

I have a carlin 701 on my 3x12. With the nozzles and pump pressure I am running I am burning a little over 10 gph. Most don't know that nozzles are rated at 100 psi. If pressure is higher you are burning more fuel. I am running at 160 psi.

Chmaple
04-08-2016, 03:11 PM
I looked at the leader site they show to use a carlin 601 but i have seen people saw to use the carlin 701 with high and low option, what's the high and low used for on the evaporater?

BAP
04-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Usually you use high when boiling. Low works good when you don't have a lot of sap and want to make steam to draw customers in.

wiam
04-08-2016, 06:33 PM
I looked at the leader site they show to use a carlin 601 but i have seen people saw to use the carlin 701 with high and low option, what's the high and low used for on the evaporater?

At the end of most boils I empty my front pan to clean. When the tank level is very low I change to low fire and close valve between pans. Back pan boil goes way down. Then I bring the whole front pan to syrup. Then I can put it in the drum instead of back in the pan.

Sunday Rock Maple
04-08-2016, 07:06 PM
At the end of most boils I empty my front pan to clean. When the tank level is very low I change to low fire and close valve between pans. Back pan boil goes way down. Then I bring the whole front pan to syrup. Then I can put it in the drum instead of back in the pan.

Not to steal the thread but how do you get it out with scorching, shut it off and let it cool first?

mellondome
04-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Turn off the burner and empty the pan. Once the burner is off, there is no more heat to burn the pan with

wiam
04-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Not to steal the thread but how do you get it out with scorching, shut it off and let it cool first?

My oil rig is all ceramic blanket inside. The boil is gone within seconds.