PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new Mason 2 x 5 XL evaporator today! The Maple bug has taken over!

claystroup
04-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Well, after boiling my rookie season on a homemade 20" x 38" flat batch pan setup that would boil 5 to 6 gph, I took the plunge today and sent my deposit in on a new Mason 2 x 5 XL arch/pan set up with his new pre-heater setup that sits directly over the fire behind the rear pan. Got a blower and went with 2 flat pans ( 2 x 2 front and 2 x 3 rear) that are connected with a valve so that I can continue to batch boil which is what I like to do. Bill feels it should do between 16 and 20 gph. I tapped 20 trees this year and am expanding to at least 50 next year as I am retiring 12/31/16 (ya-hoo!) and get to snowmobile and make syrup next winter. Bill was great to work with and answered all my questions thoroughly. I had bought a pre-heater tank and my scoop and skimmer tools from him this year and all 3 pieces were quality built at a fair price. I got several other quotes on evaporators but was most comfortable with Bill's recommendations for my hobby setup. I just picked up a nice 180 gallon Delaval bulk milk tank for $50 and am going to feed out of it into a 35 gallon head tank with a small transfer pump that will feed down to the new evaporator pre-heat tank. This new Maple hobby has hit me hard but is a lot of fun. Clay Stroup, Stroup's Sugar Bush, Almont, MI

Hannah
04-06-2016, 06:26 PM
The 2x5,is that a new model he is planning on offering this next season or something the two of you designed custom? I am not seeing it on his web site.

claystroup
04-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Yes, when talking to Bill he makes 2 x 5 and 2 x 6 in both the XL arch and the upgraded HO arch. He has a lot of options that aren't on his website.

lyford
04-06-2016, 07:43 PM
I am also in the market for a new setup. Does bill offer flue pans or are all his pans flat? I didn't see any flue pans on the site, maybe I just missed it.

Urban Sugarmaker
04-06-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm positive Bill offers flue pans. He gave me a quote last year.

claystroup
04-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Yes, Bill will make you a flue pan. If I ever need more capacity he said it would be no problem to build me a set of Flue pans for the 2 x 5 XL arch I am buying from him. Clay Stroup Stroup's Sugar Bush

SPILEDRIVER
04-06-2016, 08:19 PM
cool good for you...I ordered the 2x4 hobby evap with blower installed 2 weeks ago...cant beat his price...delivered to my door was cheaper than anything in state

highlandcattle
04-07-2016, 05:04 AM
I have to ask what the price is! We have the 2x4 xl. Second year. Can't beat his prices.

See us on Facebook at Highland Hills Farm
450 taps on vac.

Hannah
04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I have to ask what the price is! We have the 2x4 xl. Second year. Can't beat his prices.

See us on Facebook at Highland Hills Farm
450 taps on vac.

I am curious what the price difference is also?

I was looking to go with the 2x4 XL but would be interested in the two pan set-up. Also, can you explain the difference in the preheater your getting and the original? Send me a private message if you need.

claystroup
05-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Update: got a call from Bill yesterday and he has started building my new 2 x 5 XL rig. He wanted to know what side I wanted my draw off valve on. Said it would be ready to ship in the next week or two. When I sent my order in I told him if I had it by late September I would be fine with that. Now it is coming 3-4 months early which is great so I can get it insulated and bricked this summer and not be in a last minute rush. I am really impressed with Bill's follow up and communication on my order. Can't wait to see my new rig.

Clay Stroup
Stroup's Sugar Bush
Almont, MI

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-04-2016, 06:19 PM
clay stroup check your pm box i sent you a message

claystroup
05-18-2016, 09:28 PM
My new Mason 2 x 5 XL came in today and is sitting in my shop tonight. Spent a couple hours looking it over tonight after unpacking from it's shipping pallet and all I can say is wow! It is extremely well made and I couldn't be happier. Ordered it on 4-6-15 and it's sitting in my shop on 5-18-16! Now I have to wait 9-10 months to make syrup on it. I will have plenty of time to insulate it and brick it this summer/fall. Thanks again to Bill Mason for helping me take my Maple Syrup hobby to the next level.

Clay Stroup
Stroup's Sugar Bush
Almont, MI

MISugarDaddy
05-19-2016, 04:33 AM
That is great news that you got your new evaporator already! Like you said, now you don't have to rush to get it bricked before it starts getting cold again. I am sure you will really enjoy this next syrup season.
Gary

CTSap4Maple
05-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Clay, the suspense is killing us. Please post some pics of the new rig!

claystroup
05-19-2016, 11:49 AM
I would upload some pictures but have no idea how to. I can download pictures into files on my computer but can't figure out how to attach them. Anyone have any easy way to explain it to a 57 year old that is not all that technology friendly?

Clay

lpakiz
05-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Sure. When you click the REPLY button, it opens a window for you to type a sentence into.
Look directly above where you are typing and you will see a whole row of icons. Click the third icon from the right. It will say INSERT IMAGE. You might have to choose and click a tab that says "from computer".
Click the button that says "choose image" and that should take you to your photo library. Click on the image(s) you want to include, then hit "upload files" and be patient, it might take a half minute for 2-3 pics to upload.

claystroup
05-19-2016, 09:32 PM
I will take some pictures this weekend and do my best to upload on Monday. Thanks, Clay Stroup

claystroup
05-23-2016, 02:47 PM

Here, hopefully attached, are 4 pictures of my new Mason 2 x 5 XL evaporator with Bill's new preheater tank. I choose a 2 pan batch pan setup so that I can batch boil outside. Bill recommended the setup in the pictures. The arch can accomadate a raised or dropped flu set up in the future if I decide to upgrade.
Clay Stroup
Stroup's Sugar Bush
Almont, MI

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-23-2016, 08:28 PM
looks good Clay

lyford
05-24-2016, 07:52 AM
Looks awesome Clay, congrats on the new rig

bagpiper
05-25-2016, 06:53 AM
I'm assuming since you're talking about batch boiling that these are flat pans with no dividers? If so, with a 2 pan set up such as yours, how do you plan on emptying out the pans completely when your boil is done?

claystroup
05-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Yes, it is a flat pan with no dividers. Front finishing pan has a built in draw off valve to drain pan. Rear pan won't be drained till end of season just like a continuous flow system. If needed it could be drained at the sanitary coupler fitting that connects the two pans. It also has a sanitary connection port on the opposite where I could add a draw off if needed.

CTSap4Maple
05-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Awesome rig Clay. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing how the redesigned preheater performs!

SPILEDRIVER
05-27-2016, 05:31 AM
looks great....im waiting on mine!!! got a 2x4 xl coming middle of june...with blower as well....cant beat the price

jsk syrup
02-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Roughly what gph of EVAP will these put out? Thank you

claystroup
02-15-2017, 08:25 PM
I hope to know either tomorrow night or Friday night as I will be boiling with it for the first time as I have about 130 gallons of sap gathered up. It has AUF blower so hoping to get 15-16 gph. Bill Mason said somewhere between 15 and 20 gph. I hope he's right!

MISugarDaddy
02-16-2017, 05:02 AM
Very nice setup Clay. Let us know how your first boil goes. Best of luck this season.
Gary

Jolly Acres Farm
02-16-2017, 03:01 PM
looks great....im waiting on mine!!! got a 2x4 xl coming middle of june...with blower as well....cant beat the price

Bill makes great stuff. Mine ran 12 gph average with blower last season. With properly split and dried wood and firing by a timer I could get up around 14 to 15 gph average, but it became work and took the fun out of it. So I went back to 12 gph and had fun.......

Hannah
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
I want one...:cry::cry::cry:

Please post some pics when you get'er rollin.

claystroup
02-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Boiled 130 gallons today to 5 gallons concentrate on 8-1/2 hours for 15 gph average. Was learning to run my new rig today so was a little cautious. Probably can gain another 2 or 3 gph if I stay right on it in the future. I am going to finish on propane tomorrow and should end up with cbout 3 gallons of finished syrup. Very happy with how the new unit performed. The AUF blower really makes a difference in the boiling rate.

claystroup
02-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Boiled 120 gallons today and pushed my new rig a little harder and got over 16 gph average. Rig is real easy to run and am extremely happy with my choice. Drew off 2 gallons of near syrup and left the rest of the sweet in the pans as will be boiling again tomorrow as my trees were still flowing pretty good today. we collected 105 gallons this morning that was at 2.0% which is a little lower than our previous collections but all the ice in my sap bags was finally melted so that thinned things down a little.