PDA

View Full Version : flooding raised flue evaporator

hambone
03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
What is the right way to flood a 2x6 waterloo small raised flue with reverse syrup pan. I've read where these have a float for both pans but ours came with just one and it's on the back of the flue pan. When we set it up we planned to draw off the right side so we shut the right side valve between the pans and opened the left valve completely. We tried to keep 2 inches of sap over the flues and 2 inches in the syrup pan(we're new at this and want to play it safe) but when we let the sap in we ended up with about 6 inches in the syrup pan. I think we must have to regulate the flow into the syrup pan with the left valve but I could be way off too. I'm sure the rig is level and I don't think the float is letting in too much sap or at least it would shut the flow into the flue pan with 2 inches of sap over the flues,any suggestions would be great.

Rusty Bucket
03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
There should be a float and a "float valve" (witch is usually just a arm and a pad that closes against an elbow) that fits inside the draw off box on the opposite side from where you're drawing off. this whole assembly is moved to the otherside when you switch sides. If you don't have this you will have to adjust the flow with your valve to keep it at the desired level.

Good luck

hambone
03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
The float you describe is like the one to control the flow into the flue pan. The guy we bought it from said he ran it with one float so he must have regulated the flow into the syrup pan with the valves, any advantage with the second float?

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
The second float automatically lets sap in the front pan keeping the level at the desired level, just like the foat for the flue pan. My suggestion is to go to bascom maple, find the float and z-arm you need, call them on monday, and you should have it midweek.

325abn
03-16-2007, 07:33 PM
You have to let the sap in on one side of the flue pan and draw off syrup on the same side., Then on your next boil you switch everything up.

You regulate the flow of concentrated sap into your syrup pan via the valve. The rate at wich you feed into your syrup pan is somthing you need to work out.

On my 2X4 WS raised flue I have been trying to get the level in the flue pan as low as possible to protect the pan. Mayby .5 - 1 inch over the top of the flues.

noah

ebourassa
03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
i dont have a flaot in my syrup pan either, i control it with the ball valve. i usually keep an 1.5" in there and let it trickle in when i am boiling(just make sure you keep on eye on the level and let more sap in when you draw off). I have plans on putting in a float but havent got around to it yet. if your interested i might have an extra z arm and float lying around.

Dave Puhl
03-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Do you have a syrup box? on each side of the syrup pan? If so get the z-arm and float...it should of come with the unit..

hard maple
03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
during sugaring season Bascoms is open on the weekends, give them a call.