PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Syrup batches

Maplesapper
04-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Small backyarder here, and we cook in batches.

We made 4 gallons of syrup and pulled it off the fire a little too late.
Plain Water test..was boiling at 211, and we pulled the syrup off the arch at 221; and it tested high on the hydrometer

Is there a problem diluting the syrup cooked at 221 with a batch that was cooked to the proper 66 brix ?
Again, we share the syrup with friends and do not resell.

Thanks;

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just thin it with distilled water? That would be really easy.

psparr
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM
You can dilute with water as well. Most wholesale syrup providers mix syrups to achieve a consistent batch.

Maplesapper
04-05-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just thin it with distilled water? That would be really easy.

Great question...with all the boiling you'd think we would save some steam but nope..
Guess we could always buy a few gallons.
Might be easier to keep the rookie off the stove next time.... LOL

RileySugarbush
04-05-2016, 07:50 PM
We use distilled water. You won't need anywhere near a gallon for that much syrup. We keep our batches separate to preserve their "special character" !

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2016, 08:02 PM
RileySugarbush is right. You'll be surprised how little water you'll need to get your 4 gallons to proper density. Add a little bit at a time or your batch be too thin really quickly.

Cedar Eater
04-05-2016, 08:41 PM
And it really doesn't need to be distilled water. You could keep some sap frozen for that purpose or just use potable water. That's allowed by the rules of syrup purity. I would boil some tap water, add it as required and bottle the syrup. If my family tells me that any of my syrup crystallized, I advise them to heat it and add a teaspoon of water. Either that or dissolve the crystals with cheap Canadian whiskey and drink the result.

Russell Lampron
04-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Trying to thin heavy syrup with syrup of the proper density is going to make all of the syrup heavy. Heat the heavy syrup to 190* and add hot water a little at a time until the density is correct. Use a chart to know where the hydrometer should read at 190* to get it right then bottle it.