PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tubing with just compressed air?

bill m
04-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Is anyone doing this and if so what kind of results are you getting?

lakeview maple
04-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Go to the Maple research in Proctor VT and search cleaning Maple tubing , it will help you a lot

bill m
04-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I think over the years ( this is my 37 year making syrup ) I have read almost every publication on cleaning tubing. We have been using a water/air system for about 20 years now but now I am rethinking about the water part. I stopped using a Clorox solution a number of years ago and just use good clean water. All of my tubing is now on a rotation of new spouts every other year and new drops and spouts every 4th year. I am thinking just using air will leave my tubing dry with very little to grow mold/bacteria during the summer.

wiam
04-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Many including me pull taps with the vacuum pump on. This sucks most of the old sap out. Seems similar to your idea of compressed air. Although I stay a lot drier doing it this way than when I used air/water to wash lines. And smell better at the end of the day.

SeanD
04-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I don't know that the compressor isn't adding more filth and dirt to your lines. When I drain my compressor that water is kind of nasty.

wiam
04-06-2016, 05:01 AM
I don't know that the compressor isn't adding more filth and dirt to your lines. When I drain my compressor that water is kind of nasty.

He should have a filter on that if he is doing the air/water wash anyway.

bill m
04-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Yes, good filtering is mandatory. First a good general purpose filter, second an oil coalescing filter and last an activated carbon filter.

CharlieVT
04-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Keeping it simple here.

From all I have read, cleaning lines doesn't affect yield or syrup quality.
On my vacuum lines, I run the vaccum when pulling spouts.
Then I let the drops hang for a couple/few weeks to let 'em dry.
On my gravity lines I pull spouts and let the drops hand for a while and I try to pull out all sags in the laterals so there isn't any pooling of sap in low spots.

After a few weeks and things have dried out, I plug off the drops to keep the bugs and mud daubers out.

Until reasearch data tells me there is some benefit to doing more, I'm sticking with the KISS principle. :)

wiam
04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Keeping it simple here.

From all I have read, cleaning lines doesn't affect yield or syrup quality.
On my vacuum lines, I run the vaccum when pulling spouts.
Then I let the drops hang for a couple/few weeks to let 'em dry.
On my gravity lines I pull spouts and let the drops hand for a while and I try to pull out all sags in the laterals so there isn't any pooling of sap in low spots.

After a few weeks and things have dried out, I plug off the drops to keep the bugs and mud daubers out.

Until reasearch data tells me there is some benefit to doing more, I'm sticking with the KISS principle. :)

My thoughts exactly. And no snotty sap on me. :D

Bucket Head
04-06-2016, 11:25 PM
I know some folks on here have abandoned the practice of sending compressed air and water, at high pressures, through their system because it loosens up some of the fittings and causes more vacuum leaks.

bill m
04-07-2016, 06:53 AM
With using air/water under pressure you sure will find any leaks in your tubing and could create more. I do not have vacuum on any of my remote pipelines but when I do that is how I will be cleaning my tubing. So for now I am going to just use compressed air to get my tubing as dry as possible.

johnpma
04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
With using air/water under pressure you sure will find any leaks in your tubing and could create more. I do not have vacuum on any of my remote pipelines but when I do that is how I will be cleaning my tubing. So for now I am going to just use compressed air to get my tubing as dry as possible. That's all I do quick blast of air and store the tubing all coiled away Worked for me for the past couple years