PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 or 3/4 mainline for low slope gravity

maple milker
04-05-2016, 03:30 PM
I've been transitioning from buckets and bags to lines over the last 2 years. I've just been stringing 5/16th line from tree to tree down the meager slope I have here and taking them down at the end of the season. I want to make a more permanent setup which would be 4 or 5 runs of mainline with 50 or so taps on each to 3 different collection points. The cheap side of me says to just put up 1/2 inch line and use the 4 way T's for the laterals. Or, should I do it the "right" way and use 3/4 inch mainline and saddles. I will have a sure-flo pump on some of these mainlines. I do plan on running high tensile wire to support the main lines either way. Any recommendations?

wishlist
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
I would just do the 3/4" with saddles , many more fittings available . Next step after the shur flow is a vac system anyway ! Larry Haigh has some good prices on his mainline and he's just south of you . Give me a shout and I'll lend you a hand Bruce . I also have a high tensile wire spooler you welcome to borrow .

maple flats
04-05-2016, 04:09 PM
As long as you have some slope, as meager as it might be, 3/16 laterals with up to 30-35 taps each, then run it into 3/4" mains using saddles will work wonders. The DSD saddles work well and are reasonably priced. You may even find that you don't need any mains, the 3/16, as long as you have a net positive slope can run several hundred feet in length, then run them into a collection point. Thus, no mains, no saddles and no support wire needed.
I would not have suggested this before this year. One day I discovered a tree had fallen on my 3/16 and it was very interesting to watch the sap/air/sap/air etc. move along that line, from a tree uphill from the downed line, it flowed continually down under the downed tree and then climber back up to the next tree. If you use this method, I suggest D&G 3/16 tubing (or some other brand that stretches and retains elasticity) rather than Leaders which has no elasticity.

wishlist
04-05-2016, 05:21 PM
From Dr Tim " 3/16" tubing is definitely NOT indicated for tubing with low or no slope. Rather than developing natural vacuum, you will instead develop backpressure, which will reduce sap yield. The use of 3/16" tubing requires some slope to function. "

That's what we have here in mid , southern Michigan Dave. Little to no slope . As an example there is another producer on trader who lives 50 miles east of me. Our sugarhouse's are less than 20 feet of elevation change . Lol. Think Nebraska with small woodlots instead of huge corn fields.

VT_K9
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
I'd recommend 3/4" over 1/2" for a few reasons. The first being the availability and choices of saddles. There area more choices for 3/4". Next will be the increased choke points for any fittings. The % of impact with 1/2" fittings to reduce the inside diameter is much more. You'll notice, in comparing the fittings, that SS fittings designed for sugaring allow for much more flow than plumbing fittings of the same size. The final reason for choosing 3/4" over 1/2" is the opportunity for ice to build up. If you look at most pipe you will notice some sags. If you were to sight down a length of 1/2" pipe you'll notice that it does not take much before the sag will allow for ice to form in the line and cause a blockage with take awhile to thaw. We noticed a large improvement in lack of ice in the lines when we stepped up from 1/2". We also started using 1" for actual mainline and used 3/4" for the lateral mains. If you plan to expand then using 1" now will not cost much more.

Mike

maple milker
04-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. I did get a free sample of those DSD fittings at the MMSA meeting so I'll have to look closer at those. They seem easy to install. I think I'll be able to keep the laterals stretched tighter with the 3/4 inch mainline and saddles anyway and I'll be able to use the tubing tool on everything. Bob, can I take a look at your new setup? I'll call you sometime this month. Bruce