PDA

View Full Version : Still going - Northern MN

Mike1ranger
04-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Quite a slow down for me from the insane week of a couple weeks ago but I cooked down to 3/4 gallon yesterday. This smaller batch wasn't quite as dark as I had previously and the sap seems to still be running and looking pretty good yet. Weather looks like a few more good days ahead but I think I'm going to bag it after Sunday.

Baker
04-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Hey mike.same here in Deer River.bin slow here since last thurs. but a nice break.I'm going to keep mine in for another week.hoping to get another good run this week.I would like to get another 2 gal of the dark syrup for my personal use.I love the dark syrup at the end of the yr.how has your season bin up to this point?

Mike1ranger
04-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Hey mike.same here in Deer River.bin slow here since last thurs. but a nice break.I'm going to keep mine in for another week.hoping to get another good run this week.I would like to get another 2 gal of the dark syrup for my personal use.I love the dark syrup at the end of the yr.how has your season bin up to this point?

I put out 70 taps but quickly was overwhelmed with sap when it started running. I've had adequate storage for around 50 taps on an average year but when it ran so hard I pulled 20 taps out to keep it under control but still had to dump some sap. I think I'm on track for getting another 2.5 gallons of syrup yet. The kids took their first jar to the teachers today so the giving away is starting, which is half the reason I do it.

Baker
04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
It was a struggle for me to keep up as well. Didn't have to dump any but was all out of storage at times.I'm lucky enough I'm still laidoff and don't go back to work for couple weeks yet.so it helped being able to boil every day.I have a 12 gal's finished so far.just checked my bags and most are half full.so should get a couple more gal's this week.then ready to be done.all in all its bin a good season.

lastwoodsman
04-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Brought in 80 gallons this morning. Only getting sap on vacuum right now but it is steady. Hope to have 300 by Friday.

Lano75
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
I collected, cooked and pulled taps on Sunday. Ended up with 31.4 gallons. 1133 gallons off 92 taps. Neighbor donated 100 gallons to the cause so 1233 total with a 39:1 ratio. Everything is bottled in 1/2 pints and pints. Labeling this weekend and then start giving it away!

Gissert
04-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Best season I ever had. 1800 odd gallons into 43 gallons of syrup. Mostly medium, but 6 gallons of light. Pullled all my taps in the 1st and cleaned up. Needed another 10 gallons of sap for my pans so I tapped a half dozen trees. Got about 15 more gallons in 24 hours, so it looked like they were running strong again.

lastwoodsman
04-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Sounds like we got another 150 gallons today-- Should have over 300 to ro and boil Friday

lastwoodsman
04-11-2016, 05:46 AM
All done --ended the season with 2000 gallons of sap on 225 taps and around 50 gallons of syrup. Burned about two fireplace cords of wood, ro'ed all sap that was running at 2% to 6.5--7. Never boiled over 5 hours all season. Going to 500 taps next year.

doop
04-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Got another 200 gallons today. Should run tomorrow and maybe Wednesday and maybe a through the night Thursday, pulling taps this weekend forecast looks like it's the last week. Been a long season made 62 gallons so far with about 550 gals. Of sap to boil yet

Mike1ranger
04-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Collected my last 60 gallons on my 50 taps and pulled everything last night. Decided not to get the fire going and took the lazy (and slower) route and fired up the propane stove to boil over night. Sat down on the couch with the wife and mentioned maybe I shouldn't have pulled them and tried to get one last run before this warm weather sets in. Her look told me I made the right choice to bag it even though the holes were gushing as me and the kids pulled everything out. Been a crazy season but reality is every spring I say its a crazy season as there really isn't a "normal" sugaring season. Probably going to use the last batch for candy and get some over to friend who brews beer and see if they can brew a little maple beer. My 12 year old kid is telling me next year he want so pull the all nighters with me so he can learn the whole process. I may wait a bit before taking him up on that offer but his help sure does make it all a lot easier. Take care all!

Troutlakemaple
04-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Pulling everything this afternoon. Getting 40 gallons a day out of the 24 taps. Should be over 10 Gallons finished and bottled. Beats the heck out of the 4.5 gallons LY!

supersapper
04-16-2016, 10:07 PM
I had 90 taps out and wound up with 2000 gallons sap and 45-50 gallons syrup(still haven't canned it all). It was a very sporadic start but I ended very well. I could have gone a couple days longer but enough is enough!!! More taps and another cooker for next year.