PDA

View Full Version : Bulk tank for sap

Diesel Pro
04-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Being from WI there are a lot of old bulk tanks available. I'm thinking that I would like to go to a gravity or 3/16 system and was thinking rather than a poly tote I might try a bulk tank. Question is what do I watch for in a bulk tank. Seems most of the smaller (300-400 gallon) units are low profile with large hinging lids. Is there any drawback to this style tank? Looks like they would be easy to clean out like this.

As an option I have a lot of stainless guys that I could have either watch for something or build one.

Example:

RIVERWINDS
04-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Flat top bulk tank is the way to go. I have one 300 flat top I use for my mainline to dump into. Easy to clean with a brush on a handle. I like to wash every other day so just lift the lids up, wash and rinse.

Plus the stainless tanks keep sap much cooler than the poly tanks that act like a greenhouse. I have a handful of totes and only use them when all my bulk tanks are full.

maple flats
04-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Any SS milk tank will work good, as long as you get the lids. I had to make covers for 2 of mine, while OK, they are not as good as originals. The inner, SS tank should be free of defects, the outer is not as important in terms of dents or holes.

motowbrowne
04-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Being from WI there are a lot of old bulk tanks available. I'm thinking that I would like to go to a gravity or 3/16 system and was thinking rather than a poly tote I might try a bulk tank. Question is what do I watch for in a bulk tank. Seems most of the smaller (300-400 gallon) units are low profile with large hinging lids. Is there any drawback to this style tank? Looks like they would be easy to clean out like this.

As an option I have a lot of stainless guys that I could have either watch for something or build one.

Example:

I have 3 250 gallon bulk tanks and 1 400. They work great. Easy to clean, insulated. Not too expensive. Get one with a valve included. That's one thing to watch out for, all the dairy specific plumbing is way more expensive than it has any right to be.

Bruce L
04-05-2016, 11:34 AM
We have (2) 400 gallon tanks,a 300 gallon tank,and a 550 gallon tank,very easy to clean,and if you can manage to get an old ice bank model,it's like an insulator for your sap.

Bucket Head
04-05-2016, 12:43 PM
If you have an opportunity to get a dairy tank, get it! Motownbrown is right, the dairy specific fittings are expensive. But don't pass on a tank that has some missing or theres no valve. There are companies that offer adaptors to go from the sanitary thread or clamp-style to standard pipe thread. That way you can get a standard stainless steel ball/lever valve on them. That's what I did on mine. No, their not cheap either, but it's a one-time purchase and makes it very easy to plumb up.

Steve

bill m
04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Bulk tanks work great. I use one for my concentrate. Very easy to clean and drain completely. Don't worry about getting the special valve with it. I have never had good luck with them. I just cut off the flange and use a Fernco coupling to adapt it to my plumbing.