PDA

View Full Version : Blower location?

sap seeker
04-05-2016, 08:02 AM
O.K., don't laugh:D - My firebox on my newly created evaporator is a truck tool box with a volzegang door. For those with you familiar, you'll know it doesn't offer much in the way of draft and consequently, I had to crack the door a tad to get a better draft, even with 12' of pipe on an arch that is roughly 56"' long in total. I was very happy the 8-9 gph but have just order a cheap 100cfm woodstove blower to add to help. It is approx. 9" x 5" My problem is no ash pan, no real room to mount into the door damper. I have the bottom lined with fire brick and then a homemade grade that sits above 2-3" above. I would to get some air under the grate and although the back of the box may be an option, has anyone ever mounted one on the side? Would it work in that location? My fear is fire or coals going directly into the blower from the back or would the air keep the flame above? Some sort of "screen" in front of opening may work / help? Any thoughts are appreciated.

sams64
04-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I feed mine with a side inlet. I also use a couple of bricks below the gracet to get the air to push forward before moving up. I feel like this gets air to the front of the fire instead of just having it come up through the middle and head out the flue.

Sam

Bricklayer
04-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Your blower needs to be under the fire blowing up through the grates. If your just blowing right at the fire it won't be very efficient. If you could elevate your fire with firebricks that gives you something to rest a grate on. Then technically you could mount the blower on side. It's usually more efficient on either the front or back. But once it pressurized the firebox I don't think it really matters where it is as long as it's under the grates.

sap seeker
04-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Blower arrived today, for $18 bucks I don't know how you beat it, fairly quiet even. Going to mount it upside down on the side and towards the front to blow air under grate vs. over, thanks for the input.

Wannabe
04-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Blower arrived today, for $18 bucks I don't know how you beat it, fairly quiet even. Going to mount it upside down on the side and towards the front to blow air under grate vs. over, thanks for the input.

Hey can you share the link from where you got your blower from? Thanks and good luck!

sap seeker
04-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Hey can you share the link from where you got your blower from? Thanks and good luck!

Not that great with computers and how to do links but it came from Amazon with free shipping and is called Durablow Speed Variable Blower for $18.88. I believe it is 100CFM when on full.

Wannabe
04-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Found it, Thanks.