PDA

View Full Version : bad gas

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Had been having problems with my sap pump, ran closed choke not open. Took it apart cleaned the carb, worked fine for a little bit. Mixed the same gas, from the same can, for my chainsaw this morning, same thing!! I'm thinking the gas is bad, anyone else have this happen?

maplehound
03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
might just be a carberator adjustment. Or it coulb be that the carberator needs cleaned. Bad gas can leave a residu in the carb and cause alot of headaches

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Might be stale gas.

ebourassa
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Check the feul line, you may have a crack in it and its getting to much air, mine did the same thing last year, replaced the feul line and it ran great.
Good luck.
Erik

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Carb Adjustment=Turn jet screw out 1/4 turn.

Thinking about it=It is getting too much air for the fuel charge so if you closed down the air it ran OK(Closed choke) this equalized the flow. So if you turn the screw out you'll put more fuel charge to the engine to compensate for the gas the engine needed when it was getting not enough fuel..

SUGARSMITH
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
the way new gas is made gives it a very short shelf life. The mbte, mtbe or whatever it is they add causes the product to go stale very quickly. Causes poor ignition and gums up the little orifices in the carb

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking stale gas,even though I'm not quite sure what that means, because the pump and chainsaw were working fine before I used the gas from that container. I think I got it from the local garage that had gas for $2.65 for a long time, everywhere else was $2.30 something, till it went up again. Maybe the gas at that station was older put in a old container? I think I'll get a new container with new gas and see how they run. I'm an excellent maple producer and carpenter, but a crummy mechanic!!

Rob Harvey
03-16-2007, 06:04 PM
The shelf life of gas is only like a month. If you keep gas around for saws, pumps and lawmmowers and such I have been told it is best to add Stabil to it, that is supposed to prevent those gummed up carb problems. I was told this by the guy who was reparing the burned piston on my 200 hp yamaha outboard. ouch. Rob

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Stabil or whatever the correct spelling for it really works and doesn't cost a lot for a bottle to treat quite a few gallon. Sounds like at 35 cents higher per gallon, the gas was probably old and it will go stale quicker this time of year.

hard maple
03-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Are you using a metal gas can?? If you are I'd toss it and get a plastic one.

tuckermtn
03-17-2007, 07:37 AM
most good quality (stihi/husky) two stroke oil now comes with a fuel stabilizer.
the Stihl rep reccomends mid grade fuel (think it was something about too much oxygenating stuff in the super unleaded)

if you need to get rid of old mixed fuel, add it to your pickup's tank when its 3/4 full or near full...will mix right in...

my 2 cents..

-tuckermtn

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
I only use Stihl 2 cycle mix in all my 2 cycle engines. The only Stihl I have is a 310 chainsaw, but it seems to be good mix. I buy the 2.5 gallon mix bottles and mix 1/2 of it in a gallon jug, so it is a little strong. Better too strong than too weak and I do agree on the metal cans. I have about 6 or 8 plastic ones. I was using the Tanaka mix for my Tanakas, but ran out this year. I will probably pick up some next year for them and that is the only thing they recommend.

Gary in NH
03-17-2007, 08:37 AM
You could also try adding some gas line antifreeze with isopropyl alcohol to the fuel. If the fuel picked up moisture from condensation the isopropyl will combine with the water and allow it to burn. I use the Stabil stuff for storage and it works great. Never had a problem with 2-cycle or 4-cycles after months of non-use. It also keeps carb diaphrams pliable.