PDA

View Full Version : Canning or packing sugar

KReinisch
04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
I have never canned sugar before and I have those plastic bottles with the shaker top on them that seal. Do you hot pack it? Any info would be helpful. Thank you

maineboiler
04-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Hot pack it at 190 degrees F. Fill it as close to the top and seal it with the cap. Don't forget to filter before. Beware of sugar and form "hot spots", use a double boiler or water jacketed canner when you heat the syrup. Enjoy

wiam
04-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Sugar does not need to be hot packed. Or filtered.

mudr
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Sugar does not need to be hot packed. Or filtered.

Well dag nabbit! I spent 6 hrs trying to put 3 lbs of granulated through a cone filter yesterday. WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME THIS EARLIER?

:) Don't mind me, just having fun.

maineboiler
04-04-2016, 02:04 PM
To each his own. Hot packing is required if you will be storing the syrup for any length of time without refrigeration. Filtering is a hassle but will improve the clarity and taste

mudr
04-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Pretty sure they are talking about granulated sugar. not syrup.

KReinisch
04-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Yes I was talking about granulated sugar.

GeneralStark
04-04-2016, 05:36 PM
No need to hot pack sugar. The main thing to be aware of with sugar is to be sure it is dry. The creep test is the easiest way to know it is dry enough to be packaged. Take the sugar and pile it up with a scoop or spoon. As the mound gets larger it should start to "creep" down the slope of the mound. If it does not, it should be allowed to dry some more before packaging.

jmayerl
04-04-2016, 07:47 PM
To each his own. Hot packing is required if you will be storing the syrup for any length of time without refrigeration. Filtering is a hassle but will improve the clarity and taste
Hmm, thread is under the confection column, asked about putting sugar into containers, not syrup.

You want the sugar to be cool and at proper dryness for long term storage. We store in sealed 5 pound containers and fill shakers every month or so as needed.