PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the rest of the season? Still holding on in Sunapee!

sugaringman85
04-03-2016, 03:17 PM
So far this season has been one for the record books, tapped the earliest ever, made syrup earlier than ever, boiled more sap than ever, made more syrup than ever. So what the hell why not try to defy odds and continue on like we didn't know any better. Made our record breaking syrup on Friday April 1st. Boiled thru 1200 gallons of sap, cleaned the tanks and opened the valves. Shut the vacuum off and we're in waiting mode. The last syrup I made went from a very dark, to a nice light dark robust. Still had amazing buttery flavor with no signs of robeyness in the sap or syrup. Everything still filtered well and boiled like normal, no off smells or flavors. Wondering if the freeze up will hold off the buds and bad sap or we truely are done after this last warm spell. One sugar maker has always told me, once the peepers are out your sugaring days are over. Well Friday night I heard peepers for the first time. Regardless I've had an amazing long season with lots of ups and downs. Hope to hear from others in the area.

BAP
04-03-2016, 04:47 PM
I quit earlier this week because I ran out of wood. But Thursday when I was cleaning up I wished I hadn't run out of wood because one if my tanks was running over. I made 56 gallons this year off from 185 taps, which is a record for me.

GeneralStark
04-03-2016, 05:21 PM
The whole peeper thing is a myth from the days of buckets. I heard peepers here several days before I quit due to bud flavor. I suspect that if you have not had any buddy flavor you will likely be good for a bit longer. Then of course you could keep going and make commercial syrup until the trees start to leaf out!! Why the hell not right?!;)

CampHamp
04-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm a bit south of you and pulled them 2 days back. What a year is right! I was ready for the worst year and it was the best in the end. Gold and dark, not much amber.

adk1
04-03-2016, 08:49 PM
I quit earlier this week because I ran out of wood. But Thursday when I was cleaning up I wished I hadn't run out of wood because one if my tanks was running over. I made 56 gallons this year off from 185 taps, which is a record for me.that is a pretty good year for sure I made 40 gallons off about the same number of taps, with only 145 taps on vac. Adding another 100 for next year but on gravity

Parker
04-03-2016, 09:57 PM
I think there is a small chance that we might get some good sap,,,,,and a chance is all i need.......reload