PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for a real vacuum system?

TerryEspo
04-03-2016, 08:18 AM
I find myself searching Ebay many times looking at vacuum pumps and really don't know what I am looking for. I play with the idea of a pump and releaser but don't know what pump will work for me.

I love my Shurflo but want more vacuum. I hope to have 100 taps next year.

I don't even know what to search at Ebay to find a dairy releaser, if that's what,s its called.

When looking at pumps what do I need to know about it ?

Is every releaser compatible with any vacuum pump?

If someone can give me tips on how to gather the proper parts, it would be appreciated. This is for next year so not a big rush.

Thank-you.

Clinkis
04-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm going through the exact process myself. I love my shurflo's but want to upgrade to a real vacuum system. First thing you need is a pump. You can spend thousands on a pump but a good entry level is an old dairy pump. I just purchased a surge Alamo 30 pump from a dairy farmer for a 100 bucks. It need some work but I have all year to do it as it is also for next year. Next is how you want to run it. If you have hydro handy then your laughing, just need the appropriate size electric motor which most dairy pumps come with. In my case I have no hydro so I will be putting a 5.5 HP Honda motor on mine, which I traded a friend for a few bottles of syrup.

Next you will need a releaser. There 2 main kinds. The first is mechanical which runs off vacuum and ideal if have no hydro but they need to be placed above your collection tank as they empty with gravity. The 2nd is electric which have a pump inside them and they pump out when they are full. You should also have a moisture trap in between your releaser and your pump.

These system can be made fairly simple and for reasonable price if you know where to look. The biggest expense for me will be the releaser for $700. Good used one are hard to find it seems.

butler
04-03-2016, 08:54 AM
I just upgraded from my Shurflo to a real vac system for a reasonable price... Drop me your emails and I will send you some videos and pics that will help you... My email is...billyjbutler@yahoo.com

maple flats
04-03-2016, 09:16 AM
At 100 taps it will take several years if ever to pay off a "real" vacuum system. Unless you think you will expand you are likely much better off with a bigger diaphragm pump.
However, if you think you will grow into it, here's some answers or opinions.
As far as I know, all releasers will be compatible with any pump, that being said, get one that is in the right size range. A real good place to start is a dairy pump. With lots of dairy farms going out of business and the rest growing considerably, an old rotary vane pump can be had quite reasonably. The old Surge Alamo pumps still have parts available, mostly after market, but some OEM. Since these pumps were among the most common at one time, parts are likely to remain available. In the Surge Alamo line there are basically just 2 pumps, the rest are simply different motors and vintages of those 2. A Alamo 30 with a larger motor becomes an Alamo 40, The Alamo 50-75-100+ are all the same pump, just different motors, rpm's and thus different CFM's. Unless you will get quite large, an Alamo 30 is a great place to start. Unfortunately, the model numbers never appear on the pump, but the the pump head width is the determining factor, and the motor that drives it. If you find one, just get the width of the pump head and post it here, someone will tell you which it is. Some things to look for on the pump, does it turn freely, is the main shaft loose in the bearings, is everything super rusty. It may be a good idea to remove the end plate to look inside. Is the inner housing pitted, if it is pitted, the pump may not be able to be rebuilt, if very minor it can be honed. Do the vanes move in the slots, if not, that can be fixed unless the vanes are steel and are rusted badly in place.
That was just a few ideas.
The releaser, You have a few options, can you find an old Surge dairy releaser (glass bowl) with all the parts, can you make one, How much height do you have to work with? If the elevation or working height is a challenge, you may want a low profile horizontal releaser, like an Ed Sobles double horeizontal or some other smaller manufacturers lower height models. Maybe you can find a used model where someone is out growing one.

Clinkis
04-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I just upgraded from my Shurflo to a real vac system for a reasonable price... Drop me your emails and I will send you some videos and pics that will help you... My email is...billyjbutler@yahoo.com

I would love to see your system too! My email is Clinkis@hotmail.com. I will send u an email.

TerryEspo
04-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Hey Maple Flats....

Can you tell me the brand name of a larger diaphragm pump, that sounds interesting.

Or what can I search online to find a heavy duty diaphragm pump ?
Does that mean I would not need a releaser? Or do I still need a releaser ?

Thank-you.

BAP
04-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Hey Maple Flats....

Can you tell me the brand name of a larger diaphragm pump, that sounds interesting.

Or what can I search online to find a heavy duty diaphragm pump ?
Does that mean I would not need a releaser? Or do I still need a releaser ?

Thank-you.
It is the "Guzzler" by Bosworth Pumps.
http://thebosworthco.com/bnewapp.php?type=4

butler
04-03-2016, 04:39 PM
I was going to buy a guzzler for approx... $800-900 cdn
Instead I bought a Gast 2565 and attached a gas motor.. Best thing I have ever done to date.

Cost:

Gast 2565..$300
Gas motor...$100
Hobby Releaser...$750
Moisture trap...$100
Check valve..$30
Wheels and pulley..$30
Misc parts...$50
Approx total: $1350
Been running 26" all season... Vacuum is unbelievable!!

This vacuum system has been so much more forgiving than the diagram style set up..

PACMAN
04-03-2016, 05:36 PM
I ran a Guzzler for the past 2 years. this year I got an Airablow and a releaser good for 1000 taps. The Guzzler was shiped to my door from bozworth for 580 bucks.It paid for itself in the first 2 weeks. I ran 450 taps on it.

MT Pockets Producer
04-03-2016, 08:08 PM
We are running a Gast 1550 on a home built releaser and moisture trap based on ideas shared on this forum. We have been very pleased with the results. Got the pump on ebay for. $75 plus shipping and put a $99 gas engine on it pulling 26"-27" all season on 118 taps. We just took delivery of another 1550 with a 3/4 HP electric motor last week also from ebay for $79 plus shipping. This will replace the 2.5. Cfm air conditioning pump we have been using. That has worked very well on 93 taps pulling high vac but we are looking for a few more cfms to improve on the cycle time of the releaser. Based on what I have read on here and seen personally now the gast pumps are a very strong pump. I have no experience with others but have read a lot about the old dairy pumps being reliable and very serviceable. As previously posted you need the pump, releaser and moisture trap.

maple flats
04-04-2016, 04:24 AM
A diaphragm pump does not need a releaser, it both pulls the vacuum and pushes the sap to wherever you run the tubing line.

Mitchhorne8
09-23-2016, 06:31 AM
I'm in the same boat for the most part. Please post any updates.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BreezyHill
10-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Any vac pump will work with a dairy releaser the trick is to have the releaser pump empty the jar/releaser at high vacuum.

I have had no issues with this but a few others have.

My pump discharges out the bottom the way it was designed. I do send the sap thru a 90 elbow and up 6' to the ceiling where it turns into a 30' straight pipe to go to a dairy bulk tank that I batch with the RO. When this tank is full I then dump into the tank the releaser is on.

I like the glass releaser for tours. I have had kids and adults stand and watch it fill and empty for hours. I will be changing the pipe to the Batch tank to glass dairy pipeline in the future. Currently it is stainless.

Ben

Atgreene
02-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Sorry to high Jack, but I'm looking for input.

Buy a used leader flood 15 cfm for $1000 or a new gast 2565 brand new 21 cfm. Same money.

maple2
02-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Trade you my glass pipe for your stainless!